Another closed end Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RussFairfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Everybody seems to be making Baron's that are closed on the end, and some have also been closed on the cap end by not using the clip.

This one is also closed on both ends, but it has a clip. This is the first one, and the wood is Holly. The clip attachment is a bit "clunky" for my liking, but I am still working on that.

20064133249_Baron-1.jpg

20064133834_Baron-2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
My holly wants to be like your holly! [:D] I am really inpressed with Holly. It is beautiful in and of itself in a pen. You did a GREAT job with that one.

PenWorks

Very classic styling, nice job Russ, I really like it.
The clip looks a touch over powering from the front view, looks fine from the side.
Unfortunately, we don't have much to choose from in the way of clips. You would think, the Jr & Baron would at least use different style clips to distinguish them apart a little more.

gerryr

The simplicity of it is staggering. Every time I do one of these I stare at that huge ring on the clip wondering how it could be used for a "hidden" clip and thinking it won't work. Obviously it can be done, but my head hurts from trying to figure it out.[:(]

vick

Beautiful work Russ, I would be curious how you did the clip, are you attaching the clip to another piece of metal? I think you know I am a big fan of your hidden clips.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Thanks for all of the comments.

I have been experimenting with ways to attach a steel or brass tab to a stock kit clip so it can be used in a closed top pen. This was the first effort. More will follow.

I have no idea where I am going with this, or whether it is even worth the effort. I am having fun trying, and that should be reason enough to be doing it.

Rifleman1776

Never guess it to be a Baron. I like it as an exercise in innovation. You simplified the center band/coupler also. The holly is great, I hope to get some soon and use as a natural ivory subsitute. The clip looks OK to me and, again, is innovative. Overall, I'm not crazy about it. Too plain. Reminds me of another double-closed end somone posted a couple months ago. I called it a dowel rod with a clip. Sorry, it leaves me cold although I applaud your skill and innovation in making something like this.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I think the 'torpedo' shape is beautiful and really like the sleekness of the snowy-white holly with this style. Minimizing the centerband yields a crisp break without detracting from the flowing appearance. It may not be a 10 in your book, Russ, but it's pretty darned close in my book. I can't wait to hear the results of adding a tab to the clip to make this style a bit more "novice-friendly" for folks like me. [8D]

Randy_

No one has commented on the most impressive aspect of Russ' post. To get a properly exposed image of a white pen on a black background with very few if any "bright spots" is quite an accomplishment!!

Russ: Could you offer few comments on your camera and setup and maybe post a picture of your photo booth?? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom