Another Chevron with Cherry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
WOW! Ever since I read your first posts on chevrons, I have been looking at a drum sander. You gave me the bug. But not for chevrons but for the fine thickness sanding. I have a saw that can cut with micro adjustments, but not a sander that does that.

Your picts make me envious. Oh what you can do with good tools! My problem is that my eyes are not up to the quality of the tools any more!

Keep up the work!

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
WOW! Ever since I read your first posts on chevrons, I have been looking at a drum sander. You gave me the bug. But not for chevrons but for the fine thickness sanding. I have a saw that can cut with micro adjustments, but not a sander that does that.

Your picts make me envious. Oh what you can do with good tools! My problem is that my eyes are not up to the quality of the tools any more!

Keep up the work!

Hank... I wanted a Byrnes Table Saw for a LONG time. There was an IAP sale a few months back for a Byrnes Table Saw for a good price (and a Byrnes Thickness Sander was an add on...).

I love the Saw; but i LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the thickness sander.

I have many more ideas of how to use the basic Chevron pattern for different blank designs. The key is to be able to get a center blank segment/strip about 1/4" thick. This is where the thickness sander is crucial. I can get my veneers to whatever thickness I need.

Eyes... I can relate! Early progression of cataracts; glasses are for 20/1100, and 20/1025 vision correction..:glasses-nerdy:

wood128

Great looking segmented pen ,Mark. I will have to start calling you Mr. Chevron! Have you ever read the book "LAMINATED DESIGNS IN WOOD " by Clarence Rannefeld ? Very interesting stuff about techniques , patterns and projects in segmented wood. You know, we are working in the field of wood segmentology and can be called segmentologists !!!! :mad::):eek::monkey::angry::cool:
Keep up the beautiful work.

Joe

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Great looking segmented pen ,Mark. I will have to start calling you Mr. Chevron! Have you ever read the book "LAMINATED DESIGNS IN WOOD " by Clarence Rannefeld ? Very interesting stuff about techniques , patterns and projects in segmented wood. You know, we are working in the field of wood segmentology and can be called segmentologists !!!! :mad::):eek::monkey::angry::cool:
Keep up the beautiful work.

Joe

Hi Joe:

Thanks for the reference, I will certainly check it out.

I have enjoyed the Chevron design, and will be making more with different timbers. I also have 3 more designs to try out and tweak.

I will say again, that your kindness to share some pointers and show me a few tricks is why my last few pens are starting to get better.

Hope all is well with you.

Top Bottom