Another Bluesman Collaboration

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks to Ken Nelsen of Kallenshaan Woods for letting me be one of the first to try out his newest kit. This is a less complicated yet equally attractive design which is sure to be a huge seller into so many markets.

2005827931_AfricanBlackwoodPianoKeys.jpg

A little CA, a light hand on the skew, lacquer and TSW and voila!

Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
How about it brings a song to my heart.
(Does it come in a choice of colors?[:D])
What were the "key" features of this pen?
The fit and finish is as clear as black and white.
Were there any features of the pen worth noting?
Will you make the piano pens one of you forte?
Do you think you'll reprise this pen?

JimGo

Lou, looks like you hit a high note with this one! Are they actually ebony and ivory, or are they more friendly materials?

lkorn

Lou, I'm aware that Ken is in final prototype for this keyboard kit. I can't wait until it is for sale. How about some details on your finishing techniques?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Lou, looks like you hit a high note with this one! Are they actually ebony and ivory, or are they more friendly materials?

Ditto. Please tell us they are ebonized (insert something friendly).[:)]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I received my kit in the mail from Ken to evaluate also... the woods are holly and blackwood...
Unfortunately mine did not fair quite as well in the shipping and Ken and I discussed the cap being trimmed to the holly on both sides instead of having the black edges that Lou's kit has...
From what I can see this is going to be a whole lot easier to work with than the Stars and Stripes kit.. you only have to insert the keyboard as it is all one piece...
When I get started I will post pics of the kit in parts and the finished pen... hopefully will get time this weekend if the temps ever get below the upper 90s

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks to all of you who have viewed and to those of you who have taken the time to comment. Great thought on the dedication. Maybe I'll just call it the "Ray". Eagle - I never know which of your questions to respond to, but I can tell you that you can get it in any color as long as it's black and white. [:D] Thanks for the kind words R.T., Tip, Frank Billy, Michael, Shane and Pastor Bill...that's always sweet music to my ears! [8D] Gary - only when I'm working! Jim, as Tom mentioned, the woods are African blackwood and American holly. Larry, my finishing is very simple. I first applied thin CA to the holly to reduce the probability or the blackwood oils and dust migrating to the holly. I worked the heck out of my skew (I don't normally) and was able to start a very light sanding at Micro-Mesh 1500. Two very light coats of sealer (I just cut my lacquer 50-50). After drying overnight, I light sanded with Micro-Mesh 1500 through 12000, then added 4 coats of lacquer over two days (MM12000 after the even numbered coats). One more day of curing. Top coat is TSW.

The kit is suppose to be available very soon from www.kallenshaanwoods.com . This one has "Star" written all over it!

melogic

Very, Very Nice Lou! I have been contemplating getting a couple of the stars and stripes pen, but I think I am going to wait and try a couple of these. I am a big Ray Charles fan and this will fit in my personal collection just fine. This is the part of this site that I dearly love. Craftsmanship at its finest. Again, very nice design and very nicely put together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom