Another Battleship USS California Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fireengines

Fireengines

Here is another pen I made from the original teak wood deck from the Battleship USS California.

This time I covered the turned blank with teak oil and let it set for a week. Then coated it with CA.

I added an anchor button to the top.

Attachments

• usscaliforniabutton.jpg
    usscaliforniabutton.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 371
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mariner1

Very nice, I have not made very many pens from the stuff yet. I seem to give all of my pens away for free and have not found anyone that has a history that fits with this deck wood, yet. Again very nice looking pen and I am also curious how well the CA took with the oil.

Karl

Mariner1

Got mine from a company in California called tropical exotics hardwoods.

Karl

Just looked at their site and they appear to no longer have any.

Last edited:

Fireengines

I've spent hours researching the origin of this wood. Here is what I have:

The USS California with here teak wood deck was commissioned on August 10, 1921. For 20 years the California served as the flagship of the US Pacific Fleet.
One December 7th, 1941 the ship was moored at the southernmost berth of Battleship row in Pearl Harbor, HI. It was hit during the bombing and suffered extensive flooding damage. When the attack was ended, 100 of her crew were lost and 62 Injured. Two of her crew received the Metal of Honor posthumously.

In March of 1942, the California was refloated and placed in dry-dock at Pearl Harbor for repairs. On June 7, she departed under her own power to Puget Sound Navy Yard where a major reconstruction was accomplished. This task was completed on January 31, 1944.

She went on to serve in numerous WWII battles.

In 1959, the USS California was sold for scrap. A man purchased part of the teak wood deck to use in has "house trailer" business. The gentleman was in his 80's and the wood was never used. When he passed, his family did not want it and it was placed in a field in Southern California for years. As mentioned above, a lumber company, who specializes in historic / recycled wood, purchased the decking. I purchased a small about from them and make pens.
Later I was trying to verify if the teak wood came from the original deck when the ship was sunk on December 7th or added when it went when it was repaired at Puget Sound Navy Yard.

Recently, I made a pen for a 90 year old sailor who joined the California crew at Puget Sound and he confirmed the teak wood deck was never replaced during the modernization. I talked to him for over an hour about life on the California. He was onboard when the ship was attacked by a Kamikaze. It has a real honor to talk to one of the few remaining crew members.

One final note, Tropical Exotics Hardwoods sold their entire to inventory of USS California teak to a single company about six months ago.

Jgrden

Here is another pen I made from the original teak wood deck from the Battleship USS California.

This time I covered the turned blank with teak oil and let it set for a week. Then coated it with CA.

I added an anchor button to the top.

Where did you get the cap button??

Top Bottom