Another Barnwood (oak) Before and After

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from StephenM

StephenM

Before - a piece of scrap about 4" long

barnoak2before.jpg

I had to cut the blanks side by side so there is no grain match. Sorry for the bad cell phone pic but it's about 95 degrees with the humidity the same and I have to go meet the family at the pool.

After:

barnoak2after.jpg

(I'll try and take a better picture later that shows off the chatoyance better)

t001xa22

Stephen, I have had to go through the same thing recently. I was asked to make a special pen for my sister-in-law. This ended up being one of the most difficult wood materials I ever dealt with. It is 100+ year-old cypress from a family home that housed many generations of my wife's family. After cutting up the supplied plank, I ended up culling about 3 blanks for every decent one I could use. Even then, I had to continually stabilize the blank with CA. I have to say, though, once I could get it shaped down, it finished out ok. Cypress is not the most beautiful wood to look at, but the sentimental value is high on this one.

Last edited:

StephenM

I know exactly what you're talking about. I had to cut down a redbud tree that my dad planted (He passed away in 2001). I kept some of the bigger trunk pieces and they've just been sitting in the garage for the last 10 years. I finally milled some up to make a pen for my sister's birthday last month. Since I didn't paint the ends, there was all sorts of checking to contend with as well as all kinds of punky wood, insect holes, etc. It took 8 or 10 blanks to make one pen but it means a lot to her.

Last edited:

ctubbs

My bride's Grand Mother had a plum tree that made wonderful plum jelly but the extra plums left a mess in her otherwise pristine yard. Over my objections, I cut the tree and brought it home. After her death at 94, I made pen and pencil sets for all the kids and grand kids. They are now cherished memories of days gone past.
By the way, that is one beautiful pen. Cypress is a good looking durable wood.
Charles

Top Bottom