Another attempt at Jade truestone with CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tgsean

tgsean

I tried CA finish as I was unhappy with my previous attempt at the finish with white diamond buffing and rennaisance wax. I think the finish is better with CA, but it sure highlights any scratch marks that are there. I don't have any plastic polish, but would love to get my hands on some to try that as well. This was an order by one of my registrars, he wanted Nouveau Sceptre fountain pen. The fit could have been better. I can't seem to pick up any problem with the naked eye, but the Canon 5D Mark III seems to always show up fit issues! :frown: C& C Welcome as always

Attachments

• Jade in Nouveau Sceptre1.jpg
    Jade in Nouveau Sceptre1.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 227
  • Jade in Nouveau Sceptre2.jpg
    Jade in Nouveau Sceptre2.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 183
  • Jade in Nouveau Sceptre3.jpg
    Jade in Nouveau Sceptre3.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 165
  • Jade in Nouveau Sceptre4.jpg
    Jade in Nouveau Sceptre4.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 200
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Sean, your comments regarding the Finish, sent be back with eyes scouring over the Blank.
I am Darned if I can see any problem.
Perhaps I should get my Opthalmic Surgeon to fit me with another pair of lenses.
Or are you being Super, Super, Critical?
The Jade Trustone Blank looks Fantastic,
Your Fit and Finish is Superb.
If you wanted to polish it more.
You could try your Local Kalgoolie Auto Shop and see if they have any Fine liquid Plastic Polish, as used for polishing the Plastic Headlamp lenses etc.
If not you could try on a sample piece a little Brasso on a damp cloth.
Or the Creme Polish used on Domestic kitchen Ceramic Hot Plates, again broken down with water.
Just suggestions, as I haven't turned Truestone.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Last edited:

tgsean

Brian maybe I am being supercritical, honestly when I looked at the pen, I couldn't see it. Unfortunately I have given the pen away, so I can't check it again.

Brian my son won 3rd place at the 14-16 contest: Fire and Brimstone is the name of the pen. He cast the blank, turned it, finished with CA and took the picture. I am so proud of him. That was only his 3rd pen. Looking forward to him developing in this area

walshjp17

Sean,

Beautiful pen. The blue and green Tru-Stone are my favorites and you have done well matching the Tru-Stone with the hardware.

My experience with Tru-Stone: Sand with dry Abranet to 400 or 500. Sand with wet Micro Mesh through 12,000 grit. Finally, polish with PlastX, a automotive polish used to clean/polish plastic headlight covers. Granted, PlastX is likely not available in Australia, but a similarly formulated compound is bound to be found.

I have eliminated any scratches with this method. I'm sure others have their own processes, but this is what works for me.

Dale Lynch

You could save yourself the trouble of doing a CA finish by switching buffing compounds.The resin used in trustone takes a glass shine when buffed with plastic or acrylic buffing compound.Takes out scratches left behind from 2500 grit wet/dry sandpaper.

tgsean

Thanks so much everyone, today I am off to the automotive store to get a good buffing compound. Really appreciate the feedback.

mrrichieboy

Nice pen, love the jade truestone! Like the last comment, not necessary to CA on Truestone. I wet sand with micro mesh to 12,000 grit. I also use a plastic product call Plast-X as a final polish, but don't know if it's available down under. It's made by McGuire's in the US. It's an automotive product found with waxes and polishes, and is used on the plastic lenses of headlights. There must be something similar in Australia.---Rich

tgsean

Mark its been wonderful. I am raising money for my nephew in Canada to go to Bible School, and I've been getting order after order. God is good.

Top Bottom