Another Agate

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim Burr

Jim Burr

Banned
James and I chatted last night about getting this one out after seeing his! Pic's suck as usual, but the rest came out good! Reversed black and black tubes...even managed a finial! Cut the blank at 2-5/8" which almost left me hosed for the closed-end, but I rounded it rather than flairing so I was safe. Jr Gent parts, MM to 12k and Hutts. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• agate1.jpg
    agate1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 249
  • agate2.jpg
    agate2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

That is really nice. I agree that the black reverse looks better. The finial certainly adds a nice touch. It doesn't look like you reverse painted the finial. But that's no big deal.

EDIT: Did you do that with one 5" piece, or did you get a longer piece? I don't think I could do a closed end with a finial from a 5" blank.

Last edited:

SteveG

I really like your work and materials. One thing I have learned in adding a finial piece (and center band ring) to pens with swirl characteristics, is that I must carefully select that small chunk that will become the finial. That little piece should have a predominate amount of the swirl in it to visually match up with the rest of the pen. I have, in my early attempts, just used whatever is left from the blank. Not good enough! You gotta have that swirl in that small piece. Your pen shows that. Nicely done.

Jim Burr

Banned
That is really nice. I agree that the black reverse looks better. The finial certainly adds a nice touch. It doesn't look like you reverse painted the finial. But that's no big deal.

EDIT: Did you do that with one 5" piece, or did you get a longer piece? I don't think I could do a closed end with a finial from a 5" blank.

Thanks everyone!
I wish I could remember Bob:redface:...it would be whatever Ed sent me. I use the AS mandrel for the Jr Gent II and the nib side hole is 2-3/4 deep. I did have about 1/2" left over from the entire blank.

Jim Burr

Banned
It doesn't look like you reverse painted the finial. But that's no big deal.

You're right Bob...I didn't and wish I had...may make another one. My concern was adhesion of the CA to the paint to the finial. In person, it really shows up and the more I look at it, the more I want a new one!:mad:

BSea

It doesn't look like you reverse painted the finial. But that's no big deal.

You're right Bob...I didn't and wish I had...may make another one. My concern was adhesion of the CA to the paint to the finial. In person, it really shows up and the more I look at it, the more I want a new one!:mad:
See, now I wish I hadn't said anything:redface:. But I've done the same thing, and when it was finished, it just bugged me. But I ended up selling the pen, so I guess it made the eventual owner happy. But ever since, I've reverse painted the finials. And as long as you let the paint dry like you do with the blank, you should be fine. I use epoxy vrs CA. You can tint the epoxy if you need to, and it gives you a little time to center the finial.

Just a question on th Jr Gent II. Does it have a recess for the finial? I know the Gent I doesn't. But the Jr Retro does. The reason I ask is because you can paint the recessed area like you do the tube. I guess you could do that on a jr Gent I too as long as you made sure the paint didn't go past the end of the finial.

Jim Burr

Banned
Yeah Bob...The II has a good sized recess...but it just dawned on me that I use black epoxy all the time! Duh! Oh well...it was my first one so the next one better! Thanks for the thoughts...I use 'em!

Top Bottom