Another 50 cal. (popular aren't they?!!!)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cozee

Status
Not open for further replies.

cozee

I went with a traditional look. Parker refill. Casing and round are from Paul Sherman (pssherman). Twist action by rotating the bullet. Polished them and assembled.

20074735821_50CAL1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

almer

Originally posted by cozee
<br />I went with a traditional look. Parker refill. Casing and round are from Paul Sherman (pssherman). Twist action by rotating the bullet. Polished them and assembled.

20074735821_50CAL1.jpg
Very nice,what is total length

Woodlvr

Greg,
What did you do with the primer end? Have you put in a plug of some sort? The pen looks great. Thanks. Mike

cozee

Floyd, overall length is just under 5 1/2".

Woodlvr, I left the used primer in it. Live center fit in the dimple well enough to polish the casing.

angboy

OK, forgive my ignorance- I'm not all that up on 50 cal. pens- but is there a wood/turned part? And I'm truly not asking this in a smart-aleck (sp?) way, I just don't know. Does it somehow come apart to where there's more inside that isn't showing in this picture, like one someone else posted? I'm just trying to understand how it all works.

cozee

Picture taking a Cigar kit, installing the lower barrel tube in the bullet as pictured. The transmission holder has been turned down for clearance in the neck of the casing.

200747123037_501.jpg

Then, after trimming the upper barrel to the length needed for this application, install it in a piece of scrap wood. It is then turned down so as to slip through the neck of the casing. I turn down the hardware for both ends of the upper barrel, install them, then assemble the upper barrel on to the lower assembly. Be sure to tightly plug the hole in the finial end!!! (DAMHIKT!!!) With the casing upright, I pour in my glue of choice (I don't recommend GG, (DAMHIKT either!!!)), slip the internals down into the casing and allow the CA to set up. I then pull the lower barrel assembly back out and spray in a bit of accellerator just to be sure. If you get real close and look down from the top of your monitor, you can see the upper barrel setting down there inside the casing!!

20074712367_502.jpg

Now I need to figure out what to do with the leftover parts!!!

Tanner

Got it, thanks Greg!! Great looking pen. I have a 50 cal cartridge and bullet end from 1943. I got it from my grandfather years ago and want to make a pen out of it. What type and size of bit did you use for drilling out the bullet? Did you use a drill press or the lathe to drill the bullet out? Oil or water to keep it cool? I have only one shot at this as I only have one bullet end from 1943. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KenV

Tanner --
I drill bullets with collet chuck -- Notes say it is a #37 bit from the bullet nose through to the back and then a #24 from the back to leave 1/8 inch (0.120 to 0.130) of the smaller hole remaining at the nose. The #24 bit leaves clearance for the spring on a parker refill and the 1/8th inch leaves the spring with about the correct tension to retract. Leave a little more rather than a little less. Measurements for the spring are from the shoulder of the bit.

Nice job Cozee-- Good adaptation of the cigar kit and the bullet to extend/retract is a nice touch.

JudeA

Very nice ya need to do a step by step picture tutorial for this.
For the casing do you seal it with anything or do you just let it turn colors???
Jude

cozee

Originally posted by Tanner
<br />Got it, thanks Greg!! Great looking pen. I have a 50 cal cartridge and bullet end from 1943. I got it from my grandfather years ago and want to make a pen out of it. What type and size of bit did you use for drilling out the bullet? Did you use a drill press or the lathe to drill the bullet out? Oil or water to keep it cool? I have only one shot at this as I only have one bullet end from 1943. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The bullet I drilled was a tracer so the 10mm bit for the Cigar tube fit nicely. Using my drill press and a clamp fashioned for drilling smaller size casing, I drilled to the bottom of the tracer powder. I then held the bullet with a pair of pliers and used a propane torch to sweat out the rest of the lead. I then drill for the ink cartridge from the outside. I don't recall the bit size as I just eyeballed the bit up to the cartridge.

If I were to drill a solid bullet, I would drill for the ink cartridge frist, being sure to drill from the leading point and drill completely through so you have a pilot hole for the bit you need to fit the tube you are planning on using. I recommend you contact Paul Sherman (pssherman) and get a couple extra bullets to practice with before drilling the "classic"!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom