Another "Creation"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from NewfGuy

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewfGuy

Here is a figured Mahogany and maple pen that I turned last night. I'm happy with the look of it, but not happy with the finish. I used a CA finish, and for some reason, I wound up with some white dust in the finish. I even used the air compressor to blow the CA dust off between coats.

standard.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
If you choose to use DNA to clean your blank, most people would recommend extended drying time to make sure the water in the alcohol evaporates.

Personally, I would not use the DNA.

jeffj13

Very nice looking pen.

I would agree with not using DNA. I suggest either acetone or lacquer thinner, which flash off rather quickly.

jeff

jtate

Did you use BLO with the CA? I find that CA works a lot better for me with the BLO as a medium to kind of carry the CA and distrubute it on the blank. Then I just wipe with a fresh clean paper towel. I'm not having dust-in-the-finish problems with this approach.

Julia

Skye

I dont know how lacquer thinner is going to do on a blank. Will it interact with the CA in the segments?

I'm not feeling the purpleheart. I just dont think there's enough contrast between the bulk of the pen and the purpleheart. It's a matter of taste though.

NewfGuy

"Will it interact with the CA in the segments?"
I don't know. I used regular Titebond III to glue it together, so laquer thinner shouldn't hut anything. Besides, what have I really got to lose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom