Angled Segmented Brick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from butchf18a

butchf18a

Elegant Sierra. Purpleheart, maple, hickory, walnut. Mortar is African Saddlewood veneer. CA finish

Attachments

• angled segment blank.jpg
    angled segment blank.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 599
  • angled segment detail.jpg
    angled segment detail.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 538
  • angled segment.jpg
    angled segment.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 432
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

That came out quite well. Great thought process. The mix of the colors sets it off very well. Thanks for showing and it gives us some more ideas.

hi
for the life of me I cant see the blank it must be like an optical illusion I can see the brass tube and hole at bottom but just cant get head round the blank Ive printed it, looked at it upside down ect but still cant make it oput it looks like triangular pieces lying on a flat surface its very very nice though as the pen though maybe if I put it down and have another look later it may pop into my head
willie
cheers

SDB777

Inquiring minds must know.....

How long did it take you to cut, glue, and whatnot to end up with a blank this cool?

The angles all look to be perfectly aligned, and the finish....'thumbs up'!!!!

Scott (I'm guessing three days) B

Sandy H.

That is a great pen. Thanks also for including a picture of the blank. I really appreciate seeing where it starts and subtle things about your technique.

Thanks!

Sandy.

butchf18a

Inquiring minds must know.....

How long did it take you to cut, glue, and whatnot to end up with a blank this cool?

The angles all look to be perfectly aligned, and the finish....'thumbs up'!!!!

Scott (I'm guessing three days) B

Good guess. It was about three days to prep the blank. Once I had the tube epoxied in and ends trimmed I then cut the blank to size and sanded corners round to reduce possibility of chipout when turned. Blank was turned using carbide tool. Finish: sand progressively to 600 grit, clean with denatured alcohol, 6 coats thin CA followed by micro mesh wet through all grits. Buff and assemble.

butchf18a

Very nice pen! Looks like alot of work putting it all together. My only question is, what happened to number 11???

Lost track of where I was in numbering as I was cutting, no #11. I number the cuts in order to maintain grain and color consistency as blank is reassembled. :biggrin:

butchf18a

Gunny,
You want to buy the jig? LOL Actually I have made up several blanks of varying materials that are ready to be cut and reassembled into blanks. The pen pictured used 45-degree cuts, next one is planned at 30-degrees, anxious to see how that turns out. My jig will continue to get plenty of use.

Semper Fi
Butch

Hendu3270

Very nice pen! Looks like alot of work putting it all together. My only question is, what happened to number 11???

Lost track of where I was in numbering as I was cutting, no #11. I number the cuts in order to maintain grain and color consistency as blank is reassembled. :biggrin:

Ah, I gotcha. That maple is so straight grained that you could have skipped a couple of number and the grain would have still lined up. Again, very nice work. :wink:

jyreene

Gunny,
You want to buy the jig? LOL Actually I have made up several blanks of varying materials that are ready to be cut and reassembled into blanks. The pen pictured used 45-degree cuts, next one is planned at 30-degrees, anxious to see how that turns out. My jig will continue to get plenty of use.

Semper Fi
Butch

Butch,
Sort of, except I really just want the time to make my own (and the know how to make a reliable and stable one). That is a nice looking one but I'm pretty sure my bandsaw would still make wonky blanks! On another note it seems in addition to the sarcasm font I keep telling my Marines I need now I need a jealousy font!

Looking forward to seeing more of your great work.

Top Bottom