Angels and Demons Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sylvanite

Sylvanite

I first had the idea for the angels and demons design about two years ago, and finally got around to making if for the Birthday Bash this year. This pen was my entry into the Kitless Pen Contest, where it finished third.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The tessellation is a (very) simplified rendering of the famous M.C. Escher drawing. I poured blanks in both White and RC3 Black Alumilite resins, laser-engraved the appropriate image out of each, and then recast them with the contrasting color.

In order to preserve the centers while recasting, and to be able to rotate the blank (to prevent trapping air on the underside), I made a custom mold. That was a learning experience in itself, as I'd never poured a silicone rubber mold before.

It took a few tries to get good blanks. I had to adjust the blank diameter, modify the engraved pattern, and increase the engraving depth along the way. I also had to change the concept a bit.

This was my first kitless pen of this style. My initial attempts at the grip section failed (mostly in tapping threads for the feed, but also in cutting other threads). After figuring out the correct order of operations, and learning to keep a very light touch when tapping, however, I succeeded. I turned both black and white grips for the pen, and decided to keep the white one.

I had to make several other test pieces along the way, which was quite useful in measuring the necessary drilling dimensions for the cap and body. In order to turn those, I made slip-fit chucks for mounting. I don't like a big step between the pen body and the cap threads, nor a large difference between body and cap diameters, so I split the difference between them. There's about a millimeter of step in each. The cap threads are triple-start, and it took some care for the cap and body patterns to line up.

I felt that straight walls and flat ends would look better than an ovoid shape, although I did put a small taper on the pen. I also didn't like the idea of a line showing where the clip attached, so I elected to omit the clip entirely. If I revisit this design, I think I'll add some contrasting bands. One at the clip would conceal the joint and allow me to do a hidden clip.

All in all, I'm quite happy with how the pen turned out. I'll make some changes in the future, but do plan to make more kitless pens.

Thanks for looking,
Eric

Attachments

• AngelsAndDemons1.jpg
    AngelsAndDemons1.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 832
  • AngelsAndDemons2.jpg
    AngelsAndDemons2.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 827
  • AngelsAndDemons3.jpg
    AngelsAndDemons3.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 841
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rink

That's awesome. I'm drooling to go kitless.

I'm curious about the pattern...is it "radial". I don't know if that's the right term, but what I mean is...does the pattern stay consistent at any diameter?

firewhatfire

I finally see it. I am not good at the magic eye things,looking at this several times through the contest I never saw it.

Now I am really impressed. Special piece right there.

Phil(always last to see stuff)

magpens

Oh, MAN !!! That is one fantastic pen !! I'll bet you probably don't know the number of hours that went into that !!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Eric... I LOVE the pen...

The transitions between the white and black are wonderfully executed. Especially from the bottom to the top (its easy to see side by side, but bottom to top is more refined...like Escher!).

Looking at the pictures again... I'm not sure if my comments are clear, but I'll leave them be!

Very cool! I appreciate the artistry.

Mark

Sylvanite

I'm curious about the pattern...is it "radial". I don't know if that's the right term, but what I mean is...does the pattern stay consistent at any diameter?
It's a cylindrical engraving, meaning that I mounted the blanks on a rotating fixture in the laser engraver. The image wraps seamlessly around the barrel. As the blank was turned down, the tessellation did not change, but its proportions did. The images shrank around the circumference, but not longitudinally. Therefore, I had to size the engraving to match the pen's final diameter. I also took into account that when wrapping a flat image around a cylinder, the proportions appear to change. In order to look normal, the graphics have to be a little larger around than they are long.

To compound things, black-on-white fills look larger than white-on-black fills. To counteract that illusion, I made the black "demons" engraved on the white barrel slightly smaller than the white "angels" engraved on the black cap.

I hope that makes sense,
Eric

jttheclockman

Eric

Is was a great pen for the competition and is a great pen to look at. The more you stare at it the design changes before your eyes or at least to me it does. I think not many people here understood what it took to make this and maybe that is why it did not place as high. I know I sure do not know what the heck you said but i am computer dumb:eek:

If there was a pen Hall of Fame here this would go in for sure. Great job and I am sure we will be seeing more of this type work from you. As always keep them coming.

Janster

Turned out really great! I can't imagine how you negotiated the cap/pen thread alignment. Shaving the cap lip prehaps?

..it is accomplished by indexing. 1 divided by the TPI = X divided by 360 give you the per degree to remove, thus adjusting to rotation incrementally.
I hope I explained that correctly!

Sylvanite

I can't imagine how you negotiated the cap/pen thread alignment. Shaving the cap lip prehaps?
It involved repeated slight trimming and fitting of both the cap and the body. I initially matched the pattern before turning the pieces to finished diameter, but it got out of alignment along the way. Therefore I had to take a little bit off each again. The key was to sneak up on it very gradually (and stop just short so final sanding and buffing would complete the job).

Thanks for the interest,
Eric

OZturner

Wow, that is Brilliant, Eric.
I am a lover of Escher, He makes the Impossible look Possible and whats more, Realistic.
Hence I am Awe of your Creation.
Apart from the Angels, and Demons, your Proportions, Lines and Profile, are Superb.
As is your Fit and Finish.
Congratulations, and Thank you for Sharing your Craftsmanship.
Brian.

Sylvanite

The transitions between the white and black are wonderfully executed. Especially from the bottom to the top (its easy to see side by side, but bottom to top is more refined...like Escher!).
Thanks.

I wanted an end-to-end color transition like in Escher's "Metamorphosis". That is why I decided to use contrasting blanks for the cap and body. Because the angels show up better against a black background (and the demons against white), and I wanted the angels rising above, I chose to make the cap black and the body white.

I'm glad that you noticed,
Eric

brownsfn2

I absolutely loved this pen in the kittless contest. It is amazing work! I had no idea you could laser Alumilite or PR for that matter. That makes me want a laser myself even more. :) The thought, planning, engineering, and work you put into this was well worth the outcome. Really nice job!!

Top Bottom