Andrews First Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bitshird

bitshird

My son in law Andrew has been working with me making tools and watching me make pens for a couple of years, he finally decided to get his feet wet, I had some small maple burls laying around and a half gallon of Silmar, and he wanted to try and make a worthless wood blank, and create a pen with it. So here is his first attempt, Honestly all I did is tell him what to do, he mixed the resin and Pearl Ex, and we poured it into one of Gadgets great molds, he got 4 blanks ,one shattered one had too many organic edges but this one looked good, he even did the CA finish he turned it with one of our woodchucks, and polished it with Novus,( I hate to see this stuff go off the market), it's great on CA or straight resin,I had a hard time getting the pen away from him to take pictures,m the kit is one from Woodnwhimsies it's the Executive, unfortunately it's in 24 kt gold, but he loves it, and I think he did a heck of a job for his first pen, I want him to join the IAP since he will soon be taking over my Woodchuck tool business so I can enjoy my time, and play with my new lathe.
Please comment on his pen so he can see that most of you aren't as critical as I am. Gary Max has met the kid and he's a nice young man, just needs some encouragement.

Attachments

• Andrews-first-pen1.jpg
    Andrews-first-pen1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 332
  • Andresa-first-pen-2.jpg
    Andresa-first-pen-2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 243
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gofer

That is a very nice pen, way better than my first solo attempt. To do all the prep, casting and everything, I would say you are well on your way and I am sure we will see much more in the future.

Bruce

GoodTurns

down the dark and expensive path you go..... at least you have access to a loaded shop (with GREAT tools!)

Very nice start!

PenMan1

Ken:
First of all Andrew did a better job on the Retro than I did on my last one, and I have been making these for a long time. I still manage to not be able to get the pen point to stick out far enough.

Second, his cast is AMAZING!

Third, how will your wife be able to keep up with 2 PEN MAKERS under one roof.

This work looks very "solid" to me. Tell him to keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming.

Hucifer

First pen? Holy crap batman! I wish I could have said the same. It has taken me a long time and a lot of info from this site to get to the point I had one that I was willing to post here. Well Done Andrew!

ToddMR

Puts my first pen to shame. My first pen looked good until I took a picture of it lol. Join IAP, you know you want to.

Lenny

Ya done good Andrew! I love the blank and the fit looks spot on!

Now join up .... and don't worry, we won't hold the fact that Ken is your FIL against you. :biggrin::tongue::)

bitshird

Great pen and you are a great motivator Ken!

Jeff I think the right term is Slave Driver.

Great looking pen....Ken you taught him well! :)

He's a pretty smart kid, for only being 22 and with a nasty neurological problem, but he has the desire, and some imagination, so we'll see.

Ya done good Andrew! I love the blank and the fit looks spot on!

Now join up .... and don't worry, we won't hold the fact that Ken is your FIL against you. :biggrin::tongue::)

Thanks Lenny, he started to sign up this evening, but SWMBO came over and dragged him home to help do girly stuff like laundry and dishes, the poor kid get's me all day and then my Daughter, I feel sorry for the boy, I tied to warn him when I was one of his instructors, but it was like a bull dog going after a gopher, digging a deep hole.

MartinPens

Great pen Andrew. I work at home and manage the home (laundry, dishes etc.. ) and pen making keeps me sane! Looks like you have a natural talent for it. There are so many things that we do that we don't enjoy, why not spend some time doing something we DO enjoy! Hope you have fun with it.

Martin

snyiper

Nice job Andrew very sweet looking pen. You also have a very talented teacher learn what you can you have a jump on most!!!

Top Bottom