Andrea Doria Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CaptG

CaptG

I got one of the Teak railing blanks recovered from the Andrea Doria from Ron and Shipwrecked woods thru Dawn and the Exotic Blank site. This one may get me to drinking, have not made up my mind yet, lol. More to that story later. I chose the Jr. Emperor in rhodium and gold. Decided to make it a closed end pen to use more of the wood and also take some emphasis off the kit and put more on the blank. I thought long and hard on the shape of the closed end and decided simple was good. As for finish, I went with a hand rubbed oil finish after sanding to 1500, a warmer, softer look than the hard shine look. Then I got one of Lou's anniversary 18K special nibs and with instructions from him, modified it to fit the Jr. I agree with Lou, the large nib looks good on this pen. Then I had Ken at Kallenshaan Woods laser engrave a picture of the Andria Doria on the lid of one of his pen box's. Here are the pictures, all comments are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Andrea Doria 003.jpg
    Andrea Doria 003.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 306
  • Andrea Doria 008.jpg
    Andrea Doria 008.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 528
  • Andrea Doria 010.jpg
    Andrea Doria 010.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 604
  • Andrea Doria 012.jpg
    Andrea Doria 012.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 386
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
GREAT presentation!!

Pen's not bad, either. Closed end Emperor??? Don't think I have seen that before, but for this application ------- I LIKE it!!!

So, you gonna sell it, or mount it in your boat???

akbar24601

WOW Gary!!! Very nice job! Looks like all of your thinking and hardwork have definitely paid off! That is an heirloom for sure! Great job!

CaptG

GREAT presentation!!

Pen's not bad, either. Closed end Emperor??? Don't think I have seen that before, but for this application ------- I LIKE it!!!

So, you gonna sell it, or mount it in your boat???

Ed, it is NOT going on the boat, LOL.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice pen. I really like the finish you chose. It seems more fitting for this particular pen.

Rmartin

I looked long and hard at those pen blanks, but I've just got too much on my plate right now. I'm glad to see it went to a good home.

Excellent job all the way around!

Stevej72

Gary, that is one awesome pen! I wouldn't have thought of putting that finish on it and just gone with a glossy CA finish. But, after seeing it I think you made the perfect choice in finishes. I may have to order one of those blanks, although I would be terrified that I would damage it while drilling or turning.

CaptG

although I would be terrified that I would damage it while drilling or turning.

I was and I did. There is a story there, which is why I considered taking up serious drinking. It involves three reactions, first - the SCREAM, second - the really bad cussing, and third - the tears. More later, right now I gotta remember where I put the Gin...

Gary, I was just like Bruce when I saw those blanks. I thought big and fancy and shiny.

The thought, insight and planning that went on before any tool was touched shows me another level of penmaking that I never really knew existed. Add great execution of the project and you have a stunning and thought provoking exhibit.

Ken

jttheclockman

I got one of the Teak railing blanks recovered from the Andrea Doria from Ron and Shipwrecked woods thru Dawn and the Exotic Blank site. This one may get me to drinking, have not made up my mind yet, lol. More to that story later. I chose the Jr. Emperor in rhodium and gold. Decided to make it a closed end pen to use more of the wood and also take some emphasis off the kit and put more on the blank. I thought long and hard on the shape of the closed end and decided simple was good. As for finish, I went with a hand rubbed oil finish after sanding to 1500, a warmer, softer look than the hard shine look. Then I got one of Lou's anniversary 18K special nibs and with instructions from him, modified it to fit the Jr. I agree with Lou, the large nib looks good on this pen. Then I had Ken at Kallenshaan Woods laser engrave a picture of the Andria Doria on the lid of one of his pen box's. Here are the pictures, all comments are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Very nice job on the blank and the kit fits it well. Does the blank come with a card of authenticity??? Like the case also. Thje choice of the closed end fits the ship theme. I can not think of the name of the part I am thinking of because I am not ship worthy but it looks like a capt's wheel spoke or there is one other thing and I am blank. Maybe you know what I am thinking of. :confused::confused:

markgum

That is a great looking pen. I keep drooling over one of those blanks simply because of the history. but... $$$$$$
That one would be a keeper...

CaptG

I forgot to add, yes there is a certificate of authenticity. And I have put togather a small information pamphlet on the Andrea Doria.

GouletPens

It's great to see so much effort going into the pen as a whole package....I really like what you've done with it. With a pen presented like that you should fetch top dollar for it, great job!

Crayman

The pen is great, having been on the Doria (long before pen turning:mad:) and knowing quite a few who dive it still. I might have to get a blank or 2:rolleyes:.

Top Bottom