Ancient Mars Jr Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JimMc7

JimMc7

Had one of those days yesterday and cracked 3 PR blanks. The 1st was obvious as I split the blank in two, the other two I turned almost to completion before I noticed the cracks. :redface: To be clear, the blank destruction was my fault -- not blaming the blanks!

I slowed the lathe to minimum, drilled only ~ 1/2" per pass and cooled the bit with a water spray and all is well today! Probably overkill but I don't want any more cracked blanks! Result is this Ancient Mars blank on a Jr Gent II black titanium kit.

The last (pen only) is the part I didn't crack from what I think is an exoticblanks "Mink" blank. This was an unlabeled freebie so not positive of the id. Not sure I would get a good match with another blank from a different batch. I really like the look of it though so I'll probably just put a white cap on it. Any other color suggestions?

Thanks for looking and comments welcome.

** Edit to remove confusing subject (sorry, mickr!) and to add that Dawn emailed and thought this was an experimental blank rather than Mink. Per their usual great customer service, she also volunteered to send another for free. **

Attachments

• IMG_6038.jpg
    IMG_6038.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_6039.jpg
    IMG_6039.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_6035.jpg
    IMG_6035.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mickr

when I started to read, I thought it was gonna be an ancient mars/segmented/mink blank..phew, was I glad to see it was 2 different pens!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey, take her up on the extra freebee and ask for that same gold, red, yellow mix. I just cut a few of them - I have a new favorite -- used to be an acylester bronze, this one is better!@!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
By the way, I have started to drill these on my drill press, again. I also add cool water to the hole as I drill. Not a necessity, but it does make the process a little faster. I don't drill all the way through. Cut off the end.

Just a FWIW!!!

JimMc7

Hey, take her up on the extra freebee and ask for that same gold, red, yellow mix. I just cut a few of them - I have a new favorite -- used to be an acylester bronze, this one is better!@!!

I received another order today and think Dawn included one of those as a freebie. Looking forward to turning it!

BTW, another possible reason for the 2 I cracked on the lathe is I was using a roughing gouge to take the blank down to about 1/8"-1/4" from completion. I don't have the most steady hand and got the dreaded sound of breaking glass a couple of times! I just use gouge to get it near round now and take it the rest of the way with a skew. Takes a bit more time and a touchup sharpening or 2 but no cracks so I'm sticking with it.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Jim,

You can also take the corners off on a belt sander, before you try to turn the blank. This is GUARANTEED not to crack the blank.

Also shortens your fingernails, if they need a trim.

Top Bottom