Ancient Kauri

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made this unique piece early this A.M. It is a very humbling feeling turning wood from a tree that likely existed approximately 45 to 50,000 years ago. This is Ancient Kauri on a Gold and Silver Cambridge Fountain Pen with both blank and kit from Exotic Blanks. I hope you enjoy seeing it as much as I enjoyed making it. Comments welcomed but most of all thanks for looking. Doc:)

Attachments

• Ancient Kauri on Cambridge_2.jpg
    Ancient Kauri on Cambridge_2.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 232
  • Ancient Kauri on Cambridge_1.jpg
    Ancient Kauri on Cambridge_1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 183
  • Ancient Kauri on Cambridge.jpg
    Ancient Kauri on Cambridge.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 268
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

Well worth the price for the blanks knowing that these trees were around so long ago. What's gone extinct since then...? Amazing pen

David Keller

It's another beauty, doc. I must admit that the black band at center on that kit is a distraction to me... It's begging for a mod.

I've never turned ancient kauri, but I'm guessing that it's much more impressive in person than in photos... The history of the wood is certainly wonderful.

wizard

It's another beauty, doc. I must admit that the black band at center on that kit is a distraction to me... It's begging for a mod.

I've never turned ancient kauri, but I'm guessing that it's much more impressive in person than in photos... The history of the wood is certainly wonderful.

David,
I feel the same. It takes away from the classy look of the pen and makes the accents on the pen really look out of place. Then pen does look nicer in person. The wood has a very fine unique grain to it.

ctubbs

WOW Doc, you did it once more. That is an outstanding pen, as usual. I have some of Ancient Kauri on order from Ed to go on a Triton FP. We are just waiting on a delivery from Toni for my wife's pen. I am glad you showed me what it is supposed to look like. It sure is beautiful when done correctly. Thank you doc for showing.
Charles

bitshird

Nice pen Doc. I appreciate the history of Ancient Kauri, and I've turned a couple of pens from it,. But other than it's history, it sort of leaves me flat, I've seen some with some figure once or twice, but what a difference, I think you did a great job on the Cambridge, I''m also wondering about the black ring on the CB, I like the pens, I really like the grip even if it is metal, , I think the black ring is kind of slowing me down from really going nuts with this kit, I've done 2 of each, and they are nice.

Great pen and a great piece of wood too!
Fit and finish are excellent as always!!!

I have a piece of bog oak that i always think of turning and then put down...
will have to get to it one of these days!

Andrew

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Excellent job, Doc!!!

PERSONALLY!!! I think Kauri is a great story, with a blah wood. But your rendition, coupled with a nice kit---I like it!! Even though we sell the Cambridge, I am not a fan of that black stripe, either.

Maybe a Triton??? I do really like the triton look and the Kauri would set it off well.

Again, nice job, this is more "musing" since I have always wanted a pen I could be proud of, made from Kauri. I have yet to achieve it. (And "figured" kauri is a misnomer--any grain is an accident---a happy accident, but an accident). I do like the color you achieved. BLO??

Thanks for showing!!

BTW, the "Kauri guy" that I buy from says the "Whitebait" is very prized. Some of our blanks have WB on the end, that is Whitebait. I have been unimpressed with the way it translates to pens, even though it is much more expensive than regular kauri.

I appreciate any PM's you all want to shoot me, re what you would like to have available.

Thanks!!!

Toni

BTW, the "Kauri guy" that I buy from says the "Whitebait" is very prized. Some of our blanks have WB on the end, that is Whitebait. I have been unimpressed with the way it translates to pens, even though it is much more expensive than regular kauri.
Ed is he referring to the fish? nasty tasting little fishes they make whitebait patties from them you can see there eyes in the patties, nasty just nasty stuff!!

Top Bottom