Ancient Kauri

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yorkie

yorkie

Here is an ancient Kauri with a Panache style pen. Finished with BLO and several coats of lacquer. Not a fan of CA finish; gives me a headache.

Attachments

• IMG_4368.jpg
    IMG_4368.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_4369.jpg
    IMG_4369.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 190
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks!!

I did a couple Kauri blanks and was somewhat "underwhelmed" with the figure. YOURS looks nice. The boards appear "curly" before they are cut to blanks, but the blanks did not seem to show a lot. I hope everyone has good luck with them---please let me know, as I will need to reorder soon and I am deciding whether the "figured" is worth the premium.

Feedback encouraged!! Privately or here. I want to order what YOU think is best. (Since I don't want to make 200 kauri pens myself!!)

Thanks for posting!!

toolcrazy

I have made a couple Kuari pens. Have sold one. And haven't had much interest in the other. I'm with Ed and was underwhelmed with the look. I have several blanks, so if I sell this one, then I will make another.

You have a very nice pen there. Nice work.

davidlj

I have a box of Kauri scrap cast off from ebay that I cut into blanks. Just rather plain brown not the fiddleback. But "thewoodturners.co.nz" has green Kauri that I would like to try out.

dustmaker

I have not tried this type of blank, but I think this one looks good. I would have to agree there is not much figure there, but the symmetry of colors works well with this kit. Is there much in the way of chatoyance?

SamThePenMan

I like it. There isn't a lot of grain pattern that some woods have, like zebra wood or snake wood, but the color is very interesting. I also like the shape/style of the pen. I may have to try this kit when I get back in to pen turning again. :)

yorkie

I ordered the figured and I have to say, if this is figured I'd hate to see the bland.

The wood is beautiful though. It has an inner radiance to it, almost as if it's in the early stages of petrification? The coolest thing is that you're holding something which pre-dates the last ice age.

If anyone goes with the non-figured let me know, I'd love to see that stuff. I bought all figured but I can't see any kind of figure to it.

Easy to turn though. The kit is called Panache and is a little tricky to get right.

Top Bottom