Ancient Kauri

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mikes pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikes pens

I just got some very, very old wood from a guy in the States. I found out about him from a woodworking magazine I get. It is called "Woodworker's Journal, August 2005, Volume 29, Number 4". The wood is a beautiful golden colour. It is called Kauri. Some of the pieces I got have some figuring to them - wow! The wood has been in a swamp for over 40,000 years. If you like turning OLD wood, check out the site (http://www.ancientwood.com). It is so cool to turn wood with a history like this wood has. Check his web site out for more information.

Mike

200571419191_ancient%20kauri%202.jpg

Again, the photo does not do this pen justice - it really shimmers!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikes pens

Actually, it isn't too bad for the pen price. They have one deal where you get 2 board feet which is enough to make over 24 pens. It sells for $49.00. I have no connection to the company. I just like turning neat woods. They have other packages for pen turners also if you ask. Gary, I sense a bit of sarcasm in your comment (I could be wrong though). Sorry for passing information on that others might find interesting.
Mike

Travlr7

That is some NEAT wood. I picked up four pen blanks, but haven't found a pen kit with the quality finish I'm looking for. Mine has been Radiocarbon Dated to OVER 50,000 Years Old. I have certification to give to the buyer.

When I find what I want and turn it, I'll post a picture here.

Bruce[;)]

Gary Max

Mike the reason I am keeping up with this tread. Heck I am trying to figure out where to come up with a extra $50.00 to spent. I had seem this wood about a year ago somewhere and lost track of it---now you show up with it again when I am real Broke. I am glad that I do not live close enough to hand pick some of it for blanks---I would really be in trouble.

mikes pens

Hi Gary, the more I read back on this post, the more I realize that I was an idiot. Clearly you were letting people know that the wood was already in the US. You have absolutely no reason to apologize. No wonder it takes me an hour and and half to watch the show 60 Minutes.

Mike

The problem for me is now that I have turned two pens out of this stuff and they both are gorgeous, I want to get more wood. Yikes.

wayneis

Maybe we should do a group buy. If someone lived close so that they could pick out a board with good grain or a burl then we would be assured of getting what we want. If this were the case then I would be willing to take part. So is someone close enough to pick out some nice wood?

Wayne

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by wayneis
<br />Maybe we should do a group buy. If someone lived close so that they could pick out a board with good grain or a burl then we would be assured of getting what we want. If this were the case then I would be willing to take part. So is someone close enough to pick out some nice wood?

Wayne

Good idea Wayne. Count me in if it comes about. Wonder if we have any members in Racine WI, and how far away from the wood Racine is?
[8D]

mikes pens

If you have any questions, just e-mail Bob (the owner). You can find his e-mail address on his website. He just sent me the carbon dating
work from the company that dated the wood - Beta Analysis. My wood is radio carbon dated at 45910 years old. Cool.

Mike

PS. If you do e-mail him, and are ordering, tell him specifically what you are looking for. He said they are soon getting some wood in that has some very active grain. I asked for figured wood mainly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom