Ancient Amber Hidden Threads Kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from soligen

soligen

Brooks mentioned this pen in another thread, so I thought I would post it. This is an Ancient Amber kit-less made for a contest that IPD did in January.

This was made to the contest rules to use a converter, but I designed it to (and have since)convert into into a bulb filler (Currently no pic after conversion). With the converter installed, you can fill it using the blind cap to access the converter without removing the section. I included a pic of the pen without the converter which gives you a feel for what it looks like as a bulb filler.

The key design point of this pen (an why Brooks mentioned it) is that all the threads are hidden behind the opaque black so they don't normally show. This was quite a bit of a challenge, but doable. I had to change the way I normally construct a pen to do it - Inverting male/female threads and threading the black bands before gluing them to the ancient amber.

1_DSCN1575.jpg

1_DSCN1576.jpg

1_DSCN1577.jpg

1_DSCN1578.jpg

1_DSCN1579.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chriselle

I like this one a lot. But, maybe I'm the only one who actually prefers the look of a barrel with threads showing through on material like this. Either way....awesome pen.

Gilrock

Really nice! I like that idea to provide access to the converter. I'm really curious about all the threads sizes in the pen if you feel like sharing. I was guessing 12mm on both ends of the body and 14mm on the section with a 6mm nib?

Brooks803

Yup, that's the one! The pictures don't do it enough justice. I got to see it up close in person and you can tell the amount of detailed work Dennis put into this. The INSIDE of the blank is polished to a high shine. No drill marks at all.

Excellent work Dennis!

soligen

Really nice! I like that idea to provide access to the converter. I'm really curious about all the threads sizes in the pen if you feel like sharing. I was guessing 12mm on both ends of the body and 14mm on the section with a 6mm nib?

12mm cap threads. 10mm for section & blind cap. 9mm for cap finial. all with pitch .75, except the 12mm is .8

BTW it is Lucite, not real amber.

PenMan1

Nicely done! Hey, I wish you have could put a converter full on ink in it and show us more photos! I'll bet it takes on a whole new dynamic with a full converter or as a bulb filler! Simply Awesome. Way to go, Dennis!

Last edited:

kruger

12mm cap threads. 10mm for section & blind cap. 9mm for cap finial. all with pitch .75, except the 12mm is .8

BTW it is Lucite, not real amber.

Awesome work.

Where did you find a 12 mm x .8 ?

Thanks

Top Bottom