Anaconda Gent & Squire (New design)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Craftdiggity

Craftdiggity

Correction!!! It's a Gent and a Sierra. I have been working on these skins for awhile now and just cannot get them any thinner. They are still too thick to get under the bushings, so I have been trying to figure out a way to work around the problem and here is what I have come up with. I parted off about 3/16" or so at both ends, and stuck a piece of ebony on each end. I then turned just like normal and finished with CA. I couldn't be more pleased with this result. I was very skeptical going into this, but I think that the ebony end bands really add a touch of class. What do you all think? These are a Sierra and a Gent.

Attachments

• Anaconda Pair.jpg
    Anaconda Pair.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 289
  • Anaconda Gent.jpg
    Anaconda Gent.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 323
  • Anaconda Squire Close.jpg
    Anaconda Squire Close.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Chris -- is that one of the Sierra Vistas??? They are a bit bigger and allow some roundover on the ends to make a better fit without the ebony endpiece.

Ebony is OK -- if that is the way you have to go, the black looks good -- If you get problems with the ebony, blackwood is the alternative - or black leather dye on other woods.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
The Vistas leave quite a bit more "Meat" than a standard sierra. I don't have one handy to measure but I'll bet the info is out there if you google it.

Pioneerpens

Looks great Chris!
@Ken~I turned one for a Vista and it was just barely proud of the bushing~but I think it worked well, as you said, it has some roundover and that helped it as well.

ToddMR

I think you got a good result with adding the ebony. Now you can be where you need to be without fear of exposing the skin. Nice job and nice way to resolve that issue. Looks good.

jskeen

The Ebony bands are a pretty good fix, and the pens are top shelf. As for the skin, I just wonder if you could either skive the ends like saddle leather or just sand the backside down to thin it down some without removing the pattern? Are the scales still on the skin? Is the skin you are working with oily or dry? Depending on how it was preserved one method may work better than the other.

Keep working on it, it's a beautiful skin.

Craftdiggity

The skin is dry, but pliable. I have sanded these down as far as I can without going through the skin. The problem is that the scales are so thick they are still above the bushings. There is nothing more I can do to the skin to thin it, so the fix has to be with the pen kit (more meat) or something like the ebony bands.

wizard

Chris, I think the ebony bands are ingenious! Beautiful pens and the ebony really frames and accents the skin. Like it just the way it is! Regards, Doc

seamus7227

Chris, nice Work! I still continue to think about an alternative to your problem, however, my mind continues to be blank. Either way, great save! I would buy some blanks if they were offered with the ebony!

robutacion

Hi peoples,

Reading this thread makes me think of a "chart" of most common kits used and the usable/workable thickness each one of them have. There has been mentioned many times of kits that have more "meat" over the brass tubes, making them a good alternative for this anaconda skin problem.

I myself wonder why is it not possible to thin the skin to void any "oops" bands, even tough, I know it wasn't the case in here but still, I think that I do prefer to see a full barrel covered with the skin, just my opinion...!:wink:

I have no doubt that, this type skin presents some challenges due to its thickness, I wonder if there are any kits out there that can use such material thickness, without much of an issue, instead of trying to make the skin fit on less forgiven kits...!

On the other hand is interesting to see what people come up with to resolve some issues...! I think that is called "imagination", and I've seen plenty of it, within the IAP members...!:biggrin:

I wish that I could give a better solution to the problem, without ever making a pen out of anaconda skin, is not easy to suggest any better ideas...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom