Americana pen completed this morning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Justin_F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin_F

Hi, Heres a pen I complete this morning. Its made of Mackay Cedar burl (its sitting on top of the remainder of the slice of burl I used. Finish is CA/BLO with my new formula microcrystalline wax to finish. Critique of pen and photography most welcome. Jus.

2005618101842_Americana.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justin_F

You know what - when I was turning it it felt hot. I Was turning it in the sun - we are in drought in Australia. It was about 20 degrees C (about 70 degrees F) at about the coldest part of our year. Very sad for us.. But this piece of burle was red hot to turn and photographed very warmly. Pray for rain! Jus.

JimGo

Very pretty Jus! Pic is a little dark for my tastes, and the tip of the pen looks to be a bit out of focus, but that might just be the shadow. Very pretty, though, and I'm sure it will be an excellect addition to your collection!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Hi Justin
Since this is your first time I'll be gentle.
Out of curiosity,After you applied the CA-blo finsh, what did you do next,i.e. in the way of sanding?

Justin_F

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />Hi Justin
Since this is your first time I'll be gentle.
Out of curiosity,After you applied the CA-blo finsh, what did you do next,i.e. in the way of sanding?
Hi Eagle, thanks for the feedback. I am an absolute beginner and would love to share technique so i can improve. After the Ca/BLO (3 coats with a little less oil involved each time) I used Micromesh 4000 ans 12000 (dry). I am still not sure how to do this as I only received my first pack of MM this week. the pen turned out a little dull - and I know this isnt helped by the wax coat on top. I have a lot of trouble getting a high gloss shine on a pen using the CA/BLO method - I have tried sanding after application, EEE after application and now MM to no avail! Any advice would be appreciated.[:)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
That is why I aksed.
Normally whit a CA BLO finish and expecially with MM it should really shine.
I wasn't sure if you were going for a satin look but that is how it appears to me.
I normally have Ca on my fingers.When I am done with a CA finish I run the pen across my lips. If there are any dull spots you will know, it should feel perfectly and flawlessly smooth.

atvrules1

Justin nicely done, I think that the shape helps to set that kit off a lot better than a straight barrel, it looks good. I like to use the CA/BLO finish also. After several layers of the finish (depends on the wood how many layers) I smooth with a little steel wool. I then use a plastic polish to bring out the shine. After that has had a chance to cure I then use a little TSW. The results are usually great. Just my 2 bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom