American Oak Pen Set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jcreasey

jcreasey

I made this for my wife's birthday.
She has a roll-top desk made of american oak which she loves.
I made this pen set to match her desk. The pens and the box were made from the same piece of wood.

The small compartment on the right is for ink cartridges.
The kit used was PEN-JR platinum.

attachment.php

Comments or criticism is welcome.

Attachments

• 2016-03-26 12-49-25 (A,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpg
    2016-03-26 12-49-25 (A,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 578
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcreasey

Lovely looking! Any chance of a bit of detail on your Nameplate?

Sorry I can't get a photo right now, but it's just normal letter stamps on brass and it says "BY CREASEY" which is kindof my brand I guess. I've never used it like that before, but my wife really liked it.

jcreasey

I think it's great to complement a turned pen with a non-turned case for the pen. Demonstrates a wide skill set. The wood is lovely. It appears to be quarter sawn.

American oak is pretty hard to come by where I live (Australia) so when I was lucky enough to find a small piece at my local woodworking store I snapped it up. (It was even on special!). It was about 1.5" square kindof size and rough sawn. I cleaned it up on my table saw and glued two pieces together to get some width.

The photo has a little bit of a burn mark on the end grain but I got rid of that and the end grain looks amazing. I couldn't take too many photos because I was trying to keep it as a surprise for my wife.

I gave it to her last night and she really liked it.

jcreasey

Is it routed in? If it is how did you get the fit so good?

Hi James,
I used a milling machine to make the holes for the pens, the slots for the hinges and the small slot for the brass plaque. Model engineering is my hobby (as well as pen making) so I am very fortunate to have quite a lot of metalworking tools.

Top Bottom