BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
For my golfing buddy. Kingwood, epoxy, and photo paper

20067920359_Amen%20Corner.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Now that is novel! Wonder if you could get a booth at Augusta. (I wouldn't think that a booth would be very expensive there, would you? [:D][:D]

Very nice execution of a good idea.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Yes - it's a photo. I reduced it to about 1" tall and printed on photo paper, cut down the center of the blank to about .4" diameter, glued the picture around the pen with CA, cast epoxy around the whole thing then turned it down to finished dimensions. I just started doing this and people love them. Have done in it both plastic and wood.
Originally posted by Penmonky
<br />Is that a photo around the top?!?

BUGSY

you might just have come across a big marketing item...can you imagine how many women would like to have their kids or husbands or whatever on one of these................[?][?][?] bugsy

bonefish

BRobbins:

That is a beautiful pen, and a super idea.

You said you cast epoxy around the pen.

Would you explain how you do that?

Bonefish

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Step 1: Cut down blank
20067101123_Photo%20Pen%20step%201.jpg
<br />
Step 2: Glue in picture
20067101139_Photo%20Pen%20Step%202.jpg
<br />
Step 3: Put in mold, pour in any clear resin to cover and wait for a few days for it to get hard. I use epoxy because I don't care for the odor of PR but either will work.
200671011420_Photo%20Pen%20Step%203.jpg
<br />
Step 4: Cut out blank and turn pen
Originally posted by bonefish
<br />BRobbins:

That is a beautiful pen, and a super idea.

You said you cast epoxy around the pen.

Would you explain how you do that?

Bonefish

Ron Mc

LOL...You have no idea what you have just done! Think weddings, graduations, darn right anything! You've done good so run with it![:D] Oh man does this give me an idea for a new cross blank!

melogic

Awesome Bruce! [:p] I think you should see if Jeff would put a tutorial for this in our library for future use. [;)] Thanks for sharing this. My wife is drooling over this idea already. [:p][:D]
Did you use a parafin wax or something to cover the holes for the tubes?

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
No parafin, but will probably use something like that in the future or with another pen style. With this size tube, they fit snugly in the mold and I put a clamp around the outside to tighten them up against the side wall. I only get a little epoxy in one of them which I was able to mill out. Think I will try corks next time but I didn't have any handy.
Originally posted by melogic
<br />Awesome Bruce! [:p] I think you should see if Jeff would put a tutorial for this in our library for future use. [;)] Thanks for sharing this. My wife is drooling over this idea already. [:p][:D]
Did you use a parafin wax or something to cover the holes for the tubes?

bonefish

Thanks for showing how you do the casting.

What I am primarily interested in is the type of epoxy you use, and where you get it. I have never tried casting anything, besides lead bullets, and I don't know the difference between PR and epoxy.

Epoxy glue is the only type of epoxy I am familiar with, and I am sure you didn't use that.

Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Thanks,

Bonefish

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
For this, I used System 3 mirror coat epoxy bar top finish from my local Woodcraft store. It's a little pricey and I think there are some less expensive ones out there from www.artstuf.com or you could do a search on the internet for clear epoxies. Polyester casting resin would also work and is usually available at craft stores. It's a lot cheaper but does have an odor that I don't care for. Also be sure to read all the posts on casting with a pressure pot if you do decide to cast. It virtually removes any issue with bubbles or voids in the castings.
Originally posted by bonefish
<br />Thanks for showing how you do the casting.

What I am primarily interested in is the type of epoxy you use, and where you get it. I have never tried casting anything, besides lead bullets, and I don't know the difference between PR and epoxy.

Epoxy glue is the only type of epoxy I am familiar with, and I am sure you didn't use that.

Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Thanks,

Bonefish

Radman

Originally posted by BUGSY
<br />you might just have come across a big marketing item...can you imagine how many women would like to have their kids or husbands or whatever on one of these................[?][?][?] bugsy

No lie! Great concept and design. You're on your way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom