Amedeo blue custom clicker

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bigj51

Bigj51

I decided to christen my new lathe with my very first kitless pen. I started it yesterday and got all the drilling, tapping and threading done. Today I did the shaping and finishing. I used Amedeo blue resin from Exotic Blanks paired with Alternative ivory that I've had hiding on the shelf for a few years. The click mechanism, spring and clip are courtesy of Indy Pen Dance. Finished it off with a Schmidt 8900 Super Bowl refill. I finally got to take one of the ideas in my head and turn them into a reality. I haven't seen one shaped like this before, but really like the way it turned out. The M10x1.25 tap and die coupled with hiding the clip required me to give this pen the shape it has. Turns out the most nerve racking part was using a dremmel to cut notch for the clip. I was just certain I was going to ruin all of my hard work. The finished piece is so smooth it feels like one solid piece. Can't even feel the joints.

I would appreciate any feedback on this first for me.

Now time to bombard y'all with the pics. Too bad I am not a good enough photographer to capture the beauty of this blank. Even the alternative ivory has a subtle pattern to it.

5084973B-CA6B-4C82-AF44-B11455D6F979-4855-0000021C43CDA293.jpg

177D0E4A-81D2-43DE-ADB5-156269CDC7FD-4855-0000021C474A886B.jpg

8F377E2F-694F-4C90-89DC-874890F3261E-4855-0000021C4AB73B85.jpg

AmedeoBlueandIvoryCustomClicker1of1_zps7272f1ea.jpg

AmedeoBlueandIvoryCustomClicker21of1_zpsdb550ae4.jpg

AmedeoBlueandIvoryCustomClicker31of1_zps425838be.jpg

AmedeoBlueandIvoryCustomClicker41of1_zps52fc4fd8.jpg

AmedeoBlueandIvoryCustomClicker51of1_zps8ac05754.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LL Woodworks

Great Pen Jeff - love the color combinations. You have inspired me to attempt a custom clicker. I know what you mean about the concern of using the dremel. My first few customs I used a dremel to cut the clip slot but quickly changed to using jewelers files. Using them doesn't take any longer and I feel I have more control over the process. Again nice work.

SDB777

Curious as to why you would use a dremmel instead of something like a flat file? I would have had to take a pill to calm myself prior to cranking up a dremmel:eek:

Regardless, I think the new lathe is going to like kitless! This one came out great!!

Scott (pucker value = 7.5) B

Robert111

Great Pen Jeff - love the color combinations. You have inspired me to attempt a custom clicker. I know what you mean about the concern of using the dremel. My first few customs I used a dremel to cut the clip slot but quickly changed to using jewelers files. Using them doesn't take any longer and I feel I have more control over the process. Again nice work.

Curious as to why you would use a dremmel instead of something like a flat file? I would have had to take a pill to calm myself prior to cranking up a dremmel:eek:

Regardless, I think the new lathe is going to like kitless! This one came out great!!

Scott (pucker value = 7.5) B

+1 The file is definitely better than the Dremel tool for cutting the notch.

Andrew_K99

Very nice, seeing your clicker had me add a few of those mechanisms to my cart but I removed them ... I need to focus on one thing at a time and right now that kitless FP's. My first is done, the section looks horrible and an attempt at a remake had pieces going everywhere; I'll be attempting another section tonight and hope to get pictures up in the near future.

AK

Brooks803

I know what you mean with the dremel. I use one myself for hiding the clip. Files work just as well with the acrylics though! I still like my dremel for doing it, then use the file if the fit is just off to dial it in.

Pen looks great to btw! Love those clickers.

glycerine

Looks good. Job well done. The only "constructive" feedback I would offer is maybe slim down/trim off the nib end a little. It looks as though the refill isn't out all the way.

Bigj51

Looks good. Job well done. The only "constructive" feedback I would offer is maybe slim down/trim off the nib end a little. It looks as though the refill isn't out all the way.

That's an optical illusion. The refill does come out just where it should be. For some reason the camera makes it look like it's not. :biggrin:

Top Bottom