Ambrosia Maple RB and FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RogerGarrett

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerGarrett

I'm finally getting time to set up my photo booth again and take pictures of what few pens I have had time to turn. I see that I need to iron the sheet for the booth!

Anyway - this wood was cut last summer from a tree that fell on the west side of town (Bloomington, IL). With chainsaw in hand, I separated the good stuff from the bad (heavily infested with termites) - finding some that was spalted and had received a visit from the Ambrosia Beetle. These two pens are for a friend who had me guest lecture at her university this past weekend.

3828_Ambrosia%20maple%20FP%20and%20RB%20resizedjpg.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RogerGarrett

Originally posted by Penmonkey
<br />I love the pens Roger. Those are my favorite kits beside slimlines.

Thanks for the kind words Travis.

You hit the nail on the head regarding style - these are very popular kits - and not real expensive compared to the Jr. Gents. I like them for gifts for friends - always seem to be a big hit. I have two complaints about the kits - maybe you have some experience you can share about the second complaint that might help me?

The first is that you have to notch the finished blank for the clip - something I hate doing. It always works out just fine, and I've had no problems with the pens - but I just don't like that step.

The second is that these are the snap in type - with the plastic insert in the cap. I've really had to take a lot of time to get the insert in just right. If it isn't in perfectly, there is either a gap between the cap and the body of the pen when put together, or the pen tip doesn't reach the insert properly inside. The biggest problem is that I haven't found a way to adjust it after I have already installed the clip into the top tube so I spend a lot of time doing a semi-dry fit test. CSUSA suggests using a #1 or #2 Philips screw driver to tighten or loosen after installation, but that doesn't work on the tightest settings.

Advice?

Roger

RogerGarrett

Originally posted by Woodlvr
<br />What kind of kits are these? I am having a blonde moment sorry.[:eek:)]
Mike

Mike,

These are from CSUSA - here is the exact link:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=050-4408

You will notice that their sample pictures have pens that are absolutely straight - I like them to bulge out a bit more - to give a bit of style - they look radically different that way.

Best,
Roger Garrett

Woodlvr

Great looking pens Roger. Thanks for the link. I like to make my pens a little thicker as it makes them easier for my clumsy hands to hold onto. Great Job.[:D]

Mike

broitblat

Great pens, both. I've always avoided that kit because I thought the lower barrel had too much gold and not enough wood, but apparently I was wrong because you made them look great!

-Barry

mrcook4570

Roger, the pens look nice. A nib cap adjuster tool is available and works much better than the screwdriver. It has four ittle teeth on it to grip the notches in the plastic insert. I think it costs around $5. CSU and Woodcraft carry them, maybe other places too.

RogerGarrett

Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />Roger, the pens look nice. A nib cap adjuster tool is available and works much better than the screwdriver. It has four ittle teeth on it to grip the notches in the plastic insert. I think it costs around $5. CSU and Woodcraft carry them, maybe other places too.

Fantastic! I'll order one right away. Thanks for the information!

Best,
Roger Garrett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom