Amboyna Zen, Malachite/Azurite Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Parson

Parson

I finished a couple of pre-sold pens over the weekend and thought I'd show off my work. Neither are bringing in nearly enough money, but both will go to good homes with people who will brag about them and refer people to me for full-price work...

I tried the "thick CA glue applied with a finger in a plastic bag" on the Zen pen and it worked well, but then I used another technique afterwards by turning the lathe on low speed and squirting thin CA glue along the edge of the pen while swiping it once (simultaneously) with a rolled up paper towel (cheap brand, not bounty). The pix don't show the depth of the finish, but it looks ten feet deep. It's hands-down the best CA finish I have put on a pen to date. I doubt I will be able to duplicate it any time soon, but I sure hope I can!

The Zen has malachite slivers in it with black pick guard. I really like the gold amboyna color with the rich green in the malachite. This pen is a companion that will use a highlighter refill from Cross and be used daily with a malachite Baron Ti.

Attachments

• amboyna_malachite.ZenPen.jpg
    amboyna_malachite.ZenPen.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 271
  • amboyna_malachite.ZenPen2.jpg
    amboyna_malachite.ZenPen2.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 196
  • malachite_asurite_pen.jpg
    malachite_asurite_pen.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Nice work. Great combination on the Zen. Coarse I've never seen a Tru-Stone I didn't like. Finally ordered some but the choices right now are pretty limited.

JohnU

Both are very nice but that first one really jumps out at you! Those colors really work well together and the finish looks great!

Parson

One thing I've learned is that the screw-top version of the Zen is sold as a Ti kit through lau lau woods out of Hawaii. This buyer specifically wanted the magnetic cap, but the screw on cap is really cool and if you get the fountain pen version, you can shorten the tube if you only use an ink cartridge instead of a converter.

I plan to do one of those next with amboyna/malachite segmenting, but the pattern will be different and the shape too.

Top Bottom