Amboyna Jr. Statesman, still working on the photography...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Munsterlander

Munsterlander

Second time I've posted some pics - still messing with the lighting (trying not to use a flash, still struggling to get it as bright as I want), but I think it's at least going in the right direction... suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• 2Tone Amboyna Jr. Statesman 1.jpg
    2Tone Amboyna Jr. Statesman 1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 229
  • 2Tone Amboyna Jr. Statesman 2.jpg
    2Tone Amboyna Jr. Statesman 2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 240
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

2Tone20Amboyna20Jr_20Statesman202.jpg

Put your photos in a program where you can play with the different aspects of them. Here is your photo in photobucket.

marcruby

I don't know what you're using as light, but it looks like there's a slightly blue cast and it hasn't been exposed enough. Depending on your camera, you may be adjust those things with it's controls.

Lacking that ability get a piece of software that allows you to make some basic adjustments. I've never used photobucket but John's changes seem pretty effective.

Marc

CaptG

Nice pen. Looks pretty sharp from what I can see, but mabe you better send it to me so I can see it first hand. In my hand. Yah, I like that idea.

bitshird

Great looking pen, I love Amboyna Burl, Perhaps it isn't the most expensive, rarest wood in the world, But it sure is among the most beautiful, and it looks like you did it proud.

stolicky

Good job on the photo, and the pen. I have been working on the photo thing and getting the white balance is certainly challenging. Marc mentioned seeing a bluish tint to the picture. I don't see it much, but I am still learning to see these things without comparisons to other images. I guess my eye is not finely tuned yet; basically, you fooled me : ). I have also learned that different monitors can display colors differently.

Some cameras allow you to set a custom white balance that seems to work pretty good.

What is the finish on the pen?

Munsterlander

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, everyone.

I'm using a Canon SD1100IS and I did use it's built in capability set the white balance -not the auto-adjust, it has a feature to set it based on current lighting using a white background - it was very yellow before that - actually I didn't have this problem at all when I used its flash, it was only when I tried to light things up myself. But Marc's right, I was very surprised how blue it came out given how white my scene was! I need to figure out what the best bulbs to use are so that I've got less of a blue light problem in the first place. I've got a combination of 2 35 GU-10 halogen lamps and then just a couple of utility lights with regular bulbs - I put white t-shirt material over the aluminum shade to avoid glare - but the bulb was one of those clear ones and it definitely has a bluish tint to it. When I have time I'll troll through the photo forum to see what I can find, but if anybody wants to offer a quick suggestion I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, finish is about 10-12 coats of thin CA, MM to 12000, 2 final passes with Kit scratch remover from Walmart. Kinda like the fish that got away, but gloss is much better in person than in my photos... ;)

And I agree, Ken - I think the two-tone amboyna is really nice!

Top Bottom