Amboyna Jr Gent (son of burl)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from leehljp

leehljp

Member Liaison
Last week I posted a pict of a burl that a friend from the Philippines gave me.

1_Side_Bottom_S.jpg

Below is a pen from that burl. The chatoyance is so great and so red that it overpowers the camera. I tried several backgrounds and several settings and it still overpowered to the point of over-saturation.

1_Face_BlueBG_small9.jpg

Click on this link to see a large size, which reveals a "face" by the clip. It is upside down to the clip end. I did not notice it until I saw the pictures. It only becomes evident under certain light and from a certain direction, but then that is what Chatoyance is . . or does.
http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/940/1_Face_BlueBG_small9.jpg

1_Chatoyance_grayBG_9.jpg

This one is for a friend who certainly deserves at least this.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrburls

Hank, Great looking pen. Fantastic finish on that close up shot. That must have been some good friend to give up a chunk of burl like that.

Keith "mrburls"

GouletPens

That really looks great Hank. I'm glad to see the wood has a nice home:) It makes me want to take the chunk I have very similar to yours and finally put it to use. I bought a large amboyna burl all waxed up at the 2008 AAW symposium and it's so brilliant looking I don't even have the courage to cut it up. I think I'm waiting on a message from God about what to do with it:tongue:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Hank , it's been awhile since I've seen some of your recent work . This one too , was worth the wait . Nicely done and , thanks for the good photography . This is indeed a beauty .

rjwolfe3

Blasphemy!! You should send me 10 of your best amboyna burl pen blanks as your penance.

Lol, you are assuming I have any. I don't believe that I have even held a piece of amboyna in my hand. Someday I hope to fix that.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Very nice Hank.

FYI, we are notorious for having the P-F syndrome (interchanging pronunciation) :redface:

Dario,

In the Philippines, how do Filipinos spell the Philippines? With an "F" or "PH"? I ask this honestly because as an American, I was amazed to learn that so many countries don't call themselves by the same name as is used in the English, or spell it the same way either.

Japan is called "Nihon", or sometimes "Nippon" by Japanese (Nihonjin).

THANKS everyone for the comments. I haven't cut the "flame" part of the burl and am saving that for a bowl. However, I will not turn that until I have some experience in making bowls. It could be 6 months or even a couple of years before I give that a try. Don't want to run the flame with a beginner's mistake.

Dario

Dario,

In the Philippines, how do Filipinos spell the Philippines? With an "F" or "PH"? I ask this honestly because as an American, I was amazed to learn that so many countries don't call themselves by the same name as is used in the English, or spell it the same way either.

Great question Hank.

Philippines is actually spelled Pilipinas and Filipinos are called Pilipino.

Russianwolf

Dario,

THANKS everyone for the comments. I haven't cut the "flame" part of the burl and am saving that for a bowl. However, I will not turn that until I have some experience in making bowls. It could be 6 months or even a couple of years before I give that a try. Don't want to run the flame with a beginner's mistake.
Yeah, It took me a while to figure out why all Germans asked if you speak Dutch?:cool:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Yeah, It took me a while to figure out why all Germans asked if you speak Dutch?:cool:

LOL! :biggrin: I first learned that over here when the Japanese kept referring to Germany as Doitsu!

And the Japanese kana alphabet spells Holland as O ra nn do . . . Orlando. Took me a loooong time to figure out that they were NOT referring to that city in Florida.

Top Bottom