Amboyna, Custom Finial & Gevalia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lyonsacc

lyonsacc

2 tone Amboyna on a Jr. Gent II in Ti Gold. This was my first custom finial (the Mrs. bought me a G3 chuck a few months ago). Had a blow out just as I was down to the proper size - It may have been a piece of bark, but I am not sure. As you can see in the last pic I filled it with some Gevalia coffee grounds.

C&C always welcome.

Dave

Attachments

• 1-28-14 020.jpg
    1-28-14 020.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 209
  • 1-28-14 021.jpg
    1-28-14 021.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 200
  • 1-28-14 022.jpg
    1-28-14 022.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 169
  • 1-28-14 024.jpg
    1-28-14 024.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 175
  • 1-28-14 025.jpg
    1-28-14 025.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 249
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
Nice save Dave! All my amboyna get stabilized just for that reason. That's some yummy coffee to fill with. Finial is great... how'd you like the process?

dtswebb

Excellent save Dave. had you not "spilled the beans" so to speak, I would have overlooked the quick thinking. A beautiful pen. Amboyna is a great looking wood to work with.

Congratulations.

lyonsacc

Thanks for all of the nice comments.

The coffee came from my wife's stash. I don't drink the stuff - I prefer tea.

Nice save Dave! All my amboyna get stabilized just for that reason. That's some yummy coffee to fill with. Finial is great... how'd you like the process?

Jim - making the finials has been rather fun. Took a little bit of time on the first one. Had trouble getting the original finial out, then I searched on the IAP and found a few folks recommending to drill a hole (sized bigger than the finial but smaller than the end piece) in a scrap piece of wood and whack it out against that.

Fishinbo

Marvelous pen! Great save, it came really natural looking with the filled coffee grounds, it enhances the beauty of the burr. Great fit, excellent finish and great choice of kit.

Jim Burr

Banned
Thanks for all of the nice comments.

The coffee came from my wife's stash. I don't drink the stuff - I prefer tea.

Jim - making the finials has been rather fun. Took a little bit of time on the first one. Had trouble getting the original finial out, then I searched on the IAP and found a few folks recommending to drill a hole (sized bigger than the finial but smaller than the end piece) in a scrap piece of wood and whack it out against that.

That's what I found. First one is always the learning curve...but now I can't see the reason to leave a JGII with that plastic on top!

robutacion

Yes, a great pen, I agreed...!

I have been "claiming" that coffee" used or unused is one of the best filling materials for these types of woods/colours/grains. I have used as filling material, pretty much anything you may think of and probably things, you wouldn't not consider ever such as tree fungus (horseshoe), for example, coffee has provided me some of the best results, so far, if a match in intended...!:)

Well done...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom