Amboyna Burl on Tycoon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bobalu

Bobalu

I don't show off my pens very much due to my lack of photography skills, but I thought these turned out well enough to post. This is Amboyna Burl on a PSI Tycoon. The blank came from isaacrapelje here on the forum. It has a small amount of sapwood mixed with the heartwood. The pen was finished with 18 coats of thin CA, which was sanded to 12000 MM and 2 applications of HUT plastic polish. I've been trying out the finishing method demonstrated by Eric Anderson in his videos. Must say I like the results better than the Medium CA/BLO method I was using, and seems to be more consistant than my older method. Thanks Eric and Isaac for the methods and materials. Your comments are welcome and appreciated.

Attachments

• P1310508.jpg
    P1310508.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 197
  • P1310506.jpg
    P1310506.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 165
  • P1310507.JPG
    P1310507.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 149
  • P1310505.JPG
    P1310505.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 161
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glwalker

Nice pen and pic. I really like this kit, but ALWAYS have a problem with the plastic couplers. They seem to either accordian (squish) on me, or the ring seems to ride up the coupler threads while trying to snug it up or the very start of the threads (which are encased in metal) seem to become exposed and cause problems trying to screw on the cap. Do you ever have any problems? Do you have a good way of pressing them in? Penn State has been good about supplying replacement couplers and they seem to recognize that they need to get the design changed.

Bobalu

I really like this kit, but ALWAYS have a problem with the plastic couplers. They seem to either accordian (squish) on me, or the ring seems to ride up the coupler threads while trying to snug it up or the very start of the threads (which are encased in metal) seem to become exposed and cause problems trying to screw on the cap. Do you ever have any problems?

This is the first time I tried the PSI kit. I have made serveral other pens from similar kits from Woodcraft (Sedona & Navigator). I haven't had any issue getting the couplers in, but I did have one shave off a thin slice of plastic as I pushed it in. I always make sure there is no glue in the tubes after I insert them into the blanks. If there is I swab out with acetone. I also champher the inside edge of the tube with a countersink bit to allow such parts easier entry. If you're not doing that you might want to try it.

I did make a mistake while assembling this kit. I got the parts for the cap end reversed. Thank goodness for my HF transfer punch set. It took a lot of trying, but things finally popped out. About the third time I made this same mistake the past 6 weeks.

broitblat

That is great looking. You started with what looks like an extraordinary blank, and enhanced it. Your finish looks great and I think the pictures are good, too.

-Barry

Top Bottom