Amboyna Burl on a Majestic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodgraver

woodgraver

I am so pleased with how easy Amboyna Burl is to turn...I was afraid of blow outs with these blanks that cost me right at $10 a piece, but so far this has been one of the best turning woods I've had on my lathe. Still trying to perfect picture taking.

Attachments

• DSC_0012.JPG
    DSC_0012.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 280
  • DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC_0016.JPG
    DSC_0016.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 233
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SCR0LL3R

That's one of the nicest colored woods I have ever seen! Amboyna is definitely one of my favorites, and that's better than any piece I have. Nice work on the pen and the photos look pretty good as well.

woodgraver

I really love the first picture on the left! And without a doubt, that wood is a joy to turn! Where did you find blanks that nice?

Thanks ;) I got them on ebay. I have turned two so far, a Majestic Squire & Sierra Elegant Beauty from one blank and this one. I'm sending one off to Kryn in Australia as soon as I shovel the drive from our snow storm. I was really worried about this one though because there really wasn't much room on either side of the drill bit. In fact, just about the time I had them turned round, I was so close to the bushings that I just switched over to sanding.

One cool thing I stumbled on...I have JohnnyCNCs TBC bushings for a few kits but not this one. Well, I used the 7mm TBC bushings with the stock bushings for this kit (one barrel at a time) and that worked perfect! Now all my bushings are TBC bushings with these little adapters!!

wiset1

Amboyna is such a beautiful wood and I love the smell of it! You did a great job with this bit of wood and really transformed it. Amazing!

gbpens

Nice balance between heart and sapwood. You're going to love turning this wood. You have an eye for picking out the blank.

JohnU

Amboyna is as pretty as it is nice to turn. Not to mention it smells nice. You scored big with this peice and the two tone wood. Your finish looks perfect and your choice of kit really compliments the wood. Beautiful !

Top Bottom