Amboyna Burl Majestic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Halfcaff

Halfcaff

I was fortunate enough to find a large wedge of beautiful amboyna locally. It made some great pen blanks. It didn't have any sap wood around the outside though. This is one of the pens that I have made with it. This is a Majestic pen kit from Penn State. The amboyna was first sanded down to 600. Then 10 coats of ultra thin CA was applied. I finished it down to 12,000 grit micromesh. I love the way amboyna turns and especially the way it finishes.

Attachments

• amboyna1.jpg
    amboyna1.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 561
  • amboyna2.jpg
    amboyna2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 443
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wb7whi

Like that stuff. I had some that didn't look like much to start but finished nicely. You must be happy how it turned out.

jttheclockman

I was fortunate enough to find a large wedge of beautiful amboyna locally. It made some great pen blanks. It didn't have any sap wood around the outside though. This is one of the pens that I have made with it. This is a Majestic pen kit from Penn State. The amboyna was first sanded down to 600. Then 10 coats of ultra thin CA was applied. I finished it down to 12,000 grit micromesh. I love the way amboyna turns and especially the way it finishes.

Great piece of wood and nice turning of the pen. The photo needs work. Lose the wood as a prop it makes the pen blend in the background. You never want to do that. the other photo needs more lighting to highlight the pen. Just some notes for next time.

Halfcaff

Thanks John. Yeah I will have to spend some time in the photography area learning how best to capture my pens. I don't have much experience with it. It would also help to have a better camera. Thanks for your input!

Halfcaff

So I have been working on my photography skills. I built a light box and that made a world of difference as far as lighting. Ill keep practicing.

Attachments

• light box 002.jpg
    light box 002.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 228
  • light box 005.jpg
    light box 005.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 222
  • light box 006.jpg
    light box 006.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 218

jttheclockman

Caleb

Now you have improved with the photos 100% over what you had. Now we can appreciate the wood better. Just a couple more suggestions. I do not like to se a cap of a two piece pen laying down. You are not showing anything by doing that. If you want to lay it down for effect then prop the writing portion on top of it to an angle. Also turn the clip to the side more. We all know what a clip looks like but want to see the wood more. They do look alot better though.

gmreeves

I really like the look of this pen. I turned a beautiful piece of amboyna last night and wish it was going on something a little more elegant like the majestic. Great pen.

Top Bottom