Amboyna Burl Kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jjartwood

Jjartwood

I decided to try and build a different style than I'm used to soooooo
I thought a kitless might be a stretch for me as I don't do them very well.
The hooded nib is hand shaped and drilled for a peek a boo look at the nib.
The clip is hand made from Amboina sap wood as is the thread skirt on the cap.
I rethreaded the section carrier to 7x1 mm to add a little more "tooth" to the wood section, and turned the section from Amboyna sap wood,Overall I thought it went pretty well.

Overall wgt 20g
overall length capped 147mm
overall length uncapped 126.8mm
cap length 61.5 mm
section to barrel 10x75
cap to barrel 14x1 mm

cap does not post

during the construction of this pen I discovered that I seem to have an allergy to this wood.

So this is my non tape pen,hope you like it.
C&C if you want
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_1224.jpg
    IMG_1224.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_1225.jpg
    IMG_1225.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_1226.jpg
    IMG_1226.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_1228.jpg
    IMG_1228.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_1230.jpg
    IMG_1230.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 381
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tkbarron

That is...different. It has a slight stone age look to it! I'd expect to see it in a Flintstones movie, maybe sitting on Mr. Slate's desk.

Really cool work!!

Tom

Jim Burr

Banned
Ok Mark...the idea is amazing!!! The detail is perfect! The cap to nib attachment is a little off. All that being said...you did one heck of a job mister!!! Take a bow and a big pat on the back!!

thewishman

That could'a been a contenda.

Beautiful! It would have been a great contest pen in the Bash. But I would have wanted to show it off without waiting a month. You have been putting in some serious shop time lately.

Jjartwood

That could'a been a contenda.

Beautiful! It would have been a great contest pen in the Bash. But I would have wanted to show it off without waiting a month. You have been putting in some serious shop time lately.
Well Chris, I've learned my lesson with contest,I'm a sore loser and a poor winner also,competition brings out a side of me that I'm not very proud of
so I think this time I'll stay in the good seats.
I had these pens in different stages of completion so they all came together at once.

Alzey

Absolutely speechless. This is the kind of motivation I need to get to back in the shop and be creative.

A awesome pen. Absolutely front page material.

SDB777

It would sure be a treat to watch a video of that 'hood' being made....it is inspiring! And something that is not seen everyday!

The wood allergy would suck though.....especially with that species, as I find it most attractive of them all.

Nicely done sir, I bow before your talents!!!!

Scott (gotta try this too) B

Hendu3270

I'm overwhelmed by the custom pens turned out by the talented crafters here that are in acrylics.....and then I see this, all from wood. All I can do is shake my head and whisper "wow" to myself. Beautiful pen.

Jjartwood

It would sure be a treat to watch a video of that 'hood' being made...
Actually making the "hood" is pretty straight forward,cut the section leaving an extra 3/4 inch at the front. After drilling and threading the section as normal redrill the front 3/4 a little bigger(size depends on the nib size)
Cut the front into a shape that you like and sand. The holes were made by inserting a 1/4 dowel and drilling the top of the nib and a file was used to shape them.
have fun.
Mark

Hendu3270

Oh and can you tell me what finish is on this pen? Has a satiny look to it and I think looks better than a high gloss in this case.

firewhatfire

Now you and I could have some fun hanging out together playing the I bet you can't do something. African black wood threads pretty well also. I hadn't thought of a larger cut tap as I only have a few. The hood is a neat idea, and now it gives me another.

You are one of the ones that keep this place fun. Although it is terrible for getting me ready for shows to sell pens.

Thanks

:eek:Wow that a cool idea! but... Isn't wood section absorb ink while dipping into a bottle of ink when using converter? I see converter in the picture.

You hit another one out of the park as far as I am concerned. This is a really beautiful pen. Great job. I haven't seen that many wooden kit less pens. WOW

Top Bottom