Amboyna Burl Elegant Beauty

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jmhoff10500

Jmhoff10500

Here is a great piece of Amboyna Burl that really had some great figure. I just got my new Canon Rebel T1i so i have been experimenting with it and my new photo Tent set up... Please, please, please critique every possible thing you can from the pen to the pictures so i can perfect the other half of that blank and really get a grasp on photography, Maybe some of my work can even end up on the home screen!!!:worship::worship::worship:. Thanks for looking!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Are you really sure you want a critique? I hope so .... you asked for it so here goes .
Loose the pictures in the box , it looks like a coffin , the hold down covers way too much of the blank so you really can't see the wood . The exposure and focus looks good but the pen should be your center point . The second pic is composed wrong the box being at an angle just looks wrong . Again the focus and exposure looks ok but the box is the main attraction when it should be the pen . The third pic is too dark and the lack of light has shifted the white balance . Photos #4 and 5 have an ok exposure but there is no depth of field , the pen is in focus on one end and out of focus on the other , try not to shoot with the camera set to automatic . Also composure on the last one is wrong , never shoot with the nib facing up (away from you) like that .
The pen looks good , the blank is wonderful and a nice match to the kit , the finish looks good too . The problem is it looks like you have a major problem with fit . The blank is badly out of round , especially at the finial end , the nib end is too but not as bad . Either your bushings are bad or your mandrel is , or you have an alignment problem .
Sorry but you did ask .

Jmhoff10500

Sweet! That's Perfect!!! I need a couple of these and i will be set! Thanks!

Are you really sure you want a critique? I hope so .... you asked for it so here goes .
Loose the pictures in the box , it looks like a coffin , the hold down covers way too much of the blank so you really can't see the wood . The exposure and focus looks good but the pen should be your center point . The second pic is composed wrong the box being at an angle just looks wrong . Again the focus and exposure looks ok but the box is the main attraction when it should be the pen . The third pic is too dark and the lack of light has shifted the white balance . Photos #4 and 5 have an ok exposure but there is no depth of field , the pen is in focus on one end and out of focus on the other , try not to shoot with the camera set to automatic . Also composure on the last one is wrong , never shoot with the nib facing up (away from you) like that .
The pen looks good , the blank is wonderful and a nice match to the kit , the finish looks good too . The problem is it looks like you have a major problem with fit . The blank is badly out of round , especially at the finial end , the nib end is too but not as bad . Either your bushings are bad or your mandrel is , or you have an alignment problem .
Sorry but you did ask .

ZanderPommo

i agree with all of the above. beautiful pen, great match to the kit, all the pics looked good to me but none were perfect. i think if you had the second to last pic focused on the whole pen it woulda been sweet. i agree the box is ugly compared to the pen and makes the pen, and the picture much less impressive

alawoodman

I was thinking you didn't take enough off the finial end, but on closer look, you could have a bent mandrel. I don't think it would be the bushings, unless you're using the wrong one. (Worn bushings usually result in the cut being too much, not too little.)

ldb2000

I was thinking you didn't take enough off the finial end, but on closer look, you could have a bent mandrel. I don't think it would be the bushings, unless you're using the wrong one. (Worn bushings usually result in the cut being too much, not too little.)

I was thinking miss drilled bushings , not drilled on center and it is causing the blank to be turmed off center . Have you used these bushings before ?

Crashmph

Nice job on the finish but the finial end dose look out of round or proud.

Is that one of the kits from me? looks good with that burl.

Top Bottom