Amboyna Burl Cigar- Looking for Opinions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from VirgilJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirgilJ

I'm a new turner that has never sold a pen. Never really tried. I'd be very appreciative of any opinions on what kind of price range this pen should sell for. I live in rural Florida where money is tight for most folks. I believe I could do alright at $25 but have no idea if that is too much or too little. Any help would be appreciated.

2007618204921_P1010542.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Very nice pen, and as far as can be seen in this photo, good workmanship. It looks like a $35 pen to me. I personally wouldn't settle for less than $30 for any cigar pen, no matter where you live, because your time and equipment cost money, as well.

byounghusband

I agree with Shannon. I honestly don't sell a Cigar for less than $35.00. Especially one from Amboyna Burl.... probably $50.00 to start with. Your pens are worth what you feel they are worth. DON'T sell yourself short.[;)]

Rifleman1776

My forumla is: cost of kit and blank X2 + $10.00. Even if I acquired the blank free or cut it myself, I'll factor in at $5.00. In this case: kit $12.00, blank $5.00 = $17.00 X2 = $34 + $10.00 = $44.00 rounded up to $45.00.
That's what I call retail. Friends and family probably would get it for $35.00.

micah

Virgil,
It looks really nice.
As for the price, I think that your just about right. I can understand that some are able to sell for more but at least for me I seem to sell more if I keep the price lower. Kinda like walmart's marketing, sell more at less profit compared to selling fewer for more. Except that walmarts is a lot cheaper crap most of the time.[V]
I have more fun at making them than selling.[:)]

mick

I got $50.00 for all my wood cigars and if It's a very exotic wood, or segmented it goes up from there

Pipes

I sell that pen all the time for $65.00 IMHO its worth that or more . ANYPLACE . but to each his own . But then a maple slim line with dye I get 25 bucks . I agree any well made cigar pen is worth $50.00 or more and UP .[:D]

VirgilJ

Thank you all for all the input. I'm obviously under priced on the pen.I'll have to up the price to $45 or $50 and give it a try. I can always lower it if they don't sell.

mrcook4570

If your price is too low, customers will not buy thinking there must be a reason why the price is so low. Perceived value must be taken into account when setting your price.

herper62

mrcook4570 is right. last Xmas at 2 fairs we had people interested in a Emperor pen in amboyna burl, rhodium-22k gold plating for $160.00. most comments were "Its priced to low, why?" tried Tiss the season, and just got strange looks. also the cheaper slimlines did not get looked at, but the ones for a few bucks more(little fancier, nicer wood) got looked at and bought. sad part is people wanted to buy the FUBAR pen that I was using to record transaction and take orders with. pens finish stunk, and it had a couple of assembly defects as it was one of our first pens. glad I did not sell it as the ink supply leaked 2-3 weeks later
Herper62

Herper--Mike sold an Emperor at a show last fall for $200 (I think, mighta been more) and AFTER the guy paid, he told Mike he left like he almost STOLED the pen-- as he felt it was worth much more, particularly when compared to valuable, but mass-produced Mont Blancs...so you just never know what a customer is thinking! While the Emperors haven't flown off the shelves, the ones that have been sold, have been purchased by men who made up their minds quickly, all have extensive knowledge of pens in general and felt they were getting a deal!!!

You will ALWAYS get people who seemed SHOCKED that pens sell for $25, much less $50-200...so don't let that bother you. Your customers are getting a pen that they CANNOT get anywhere else. About the only pens that Mike makes, that can look similar, are woods like walnut, maple & oak-- the plain kind. And a few of our resins & commerical acrylics can look similiar-- again-- if they're plain!

Oh...and I had to laugh at the FUBAR pen story--- Mike did a fundraiser for the Huntsville Musuem of Art back last summer, where they had a patrons only cocktail social the night before. He called to tell me he had only sold one pen--and to guess which. He gave a hint that he'd had it for a while. I never guessed. WHY? B/c it was his PERSONAL pen-- one engraved with HIS name on it-- but the woman, wanted HIS pen, the one HE used- the one 'good' enough for HIM!!! As with the FUBAR, the finish stunk, he said it had some light scratches & just needed a good polishing period-- as it was one of his first pens as well (a gorgeous black dyed box elder burl- it looks like the cosmos) Anyway, he just knew the gal would sober up the next day & wonder what on EARTH was she doing with Mike Hulseys' pen!!! But no! She called a few weeks later, said she LOVEd the pen- felt like every time she used it that she was writing with a signed work of art and placed another order!!! So... there IS no telling (a southern saying I suppose) when it comes to other folks and trying to figure them out!

Don't ever sell your work short!

Connie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom