Amboyna Burl on Cambridge Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it very early this A.M. It's Amboyna Burlwood on a Sterling Silver Cambridge Fountain Pen with Gold Accents. For some reason, the black plastic centerband
did not bother me as much as usual.:rolleyes: This the last of the one dozen Cambridge kits that I bought at the beginning of this year from Woodcraft before Exotics started carrying them. Anyway, I hope you enjoy seeing the pen as much as I enjoyed making it. Comments are welcome but most of all thanks for just looking. Doc:)

Attachments

• Amboyna Burl on Silver Cambridge_2.jpg
    Amboyna Burl on Silver Cambridge_2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 219
  • Amboyna Burl on Silver Cambridge_1.jpg
    Amboyna Burl on Silver Cambridge_1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 253
  • Amboyna Burl on Silver Cambridge.jpg
    Amboyna Burl on Silver Cambridge.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 247
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Hey Doc. Beautiful work, as always. I always like logging in first thing in the morning and seeing one of your pens posted, it gives me a little shot of motivation to possibly try to turn something myself. Of course then life starts to have it's usual way with me. But hey, at least I Thought about accomplishing something :)

Looks great to me!
Love the wood and the finish!!

The plastic centre band bugs the hell out of me.
For such a high end kit that costs so much one would think it would be metal.
But it does work on some kits and on others it stands out.

Andrew

woodman

Looks great I am glad I saw the pic I am about to make some high end Fountain Pens.I am going to make a 6 strand Celtic knot one and a Amboyna Burl one. How did you finish it? Did you use the CA finish? Thanks for sharing Doc.

wizard

Looks great I am glad I saw the pic I am about to make some high end Fountain Pens.I am going to make a 6 strand Celtic knot one and a Amboyna Burl one. How did you finish it? Did you use the CA finish? Thanks for sharing Doc.

Mark,
I went from 150 to 600 grit with sandpaper, cleaned surface with alcohol pad and let dry. I used one coat of thin CA and then six coats of medium CA.
I finish the CA by lightly spraying with accelerant from spray can while lathe is turning at high speed. I then lightly go over the surface of the CA finish with 600 grit wet sandpaper to get rid of any ripples or high spots. Then use MM, also wet, from 1200 to 12000 grit wiping off the surface with water and cloth between grits. Last, I use HUT Plastic Polish with a clean microfiber cloth. At that point, you have pretty much a glass like finish. I hope that helps. Probably more than you wanted to know :rolleyes:.
Good luck with your pens. Regards, Doc

Froggy

Amboyna Burl always add a touch of class to a pen (or whatever else it's used on).
Sweet looking pen!

Chris

bitshird

Gorgeous pen Doc, I love that kit, I just wish there was a mod to clean up the black ring, but that Sterling and gold combination is a beautiful kit for the price, and yours is a knockout.

wizard

Gorgeous pen Doc, I love that kit, I just wish there was a mod to clean up the black ring, but that Sterling and gold combination is a beautiful kit for the price, and yours is a knockout.

The next Cambridge I do is going to be in Black Ebonite to see if it helps to distract the eye from the black ring.

Top Bottom