Amboyna Burl/Alternate Ivory on Majestic Rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it this A.M. Its a mix of Amboyna Burlwood and Alternate Ivory. Not sure what I think about this pen yet. Was an early morning idea. :rolleyes: It might grow on me. Anyway, it's on a Majestic Rollerball. I know the pictures are a little dark. Thanks for looking!
Doc:)

Attachments

• Amboyna Ivory Majestic.jpg
    Amboyna Ivory Majestic.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 334
  • Amboyna Ivory Majestic_1.jpg
    Amboyna Ivory Majestic_1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 324
  • Amboyna Ivory Majestic_2.jpg
    Amboyna Ivory Majestic_2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 185
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

renowb

Doc, I like it! It has contrast! They go together very well. Another fine looking pen!

wiset1

Being into this stuff right now I have to say that I love it. I already love Amboyna, but the hint of Alt Ivory looks awesome! Do more like this

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
Beautiful pen Doc. Amazing piece of artwork. The contrast w/ the Amboyna and Alt. Ivory makes the pen stand alone!

jttheclockman

There was a post about commenting on people's photos and I almost posted to it and had the thing written and deleted. But in it I had mentioned that I do not comment on pens from people who post almost everyday and you came to mind. Why, because there is just so many times you can say it looks great and in so many ways. Nothing against what you do Doc. I wish I could turn a pen or 2 aday to keep the Doc away:). Your work is well documented as some of the best on here and you need no words to boost your ego. I will state another great job though and the finish is spot on. But once again I will post to one of yours because it is different from what you have been showing and you asked for comments.

I love the pen and the thought about mixing media. But whenever I see something like this I feel more thought or creativety needs to be used when doing this. My thoughts to make this pen jump even better was to use the Amboyna as accent rings. I would have left a small ring of ivory at both the top and bottom and then a smaller ring of the burl and then the rest ivory. Doing this on both ends would really make this pen pop. The other idea if using a center piece I would have cut it on an extreme angle more than 45 degrees and centered it between 2 pieces of ivory. This is in the cap portion.

Just my 2¢

keithkarl2007

Thats a great looking pen. I don't know if its the photo or just dust but there seems to be a spot to the top left of the clip in pic 1 and 2.

wizard

Thats a great looking pen. I don't know if its the photo or just dust but there seems to be a spot to the top left of the clip in pic 1 and 2.

Keith, I looked at the pen and it's there. I wiped it off. It was a streak of dirty museum wax. I use it under to hold my pens to keep them from rolling when I take a pictures. Thanks, Regards, Doc

wizard

Being into this stuff right now I have to say that I love it. I already love Amboyna, but the hint of Alt Ivory looks awesome! Do more like this

Tim, Thank you for the compliment. I would like to segment but I think I need a miter saw. The only saw I have is my band saw. My band saw guide is too far away from the blade to angle cut a pen blank and the cuts are too rough. So far, all I can do is 90 degree cuts and sand them.
I plan on getting a miter saw once I do my research...Would appreciate any suggestions about setting up for segmenting...Regards, Doc

wizard

There was a post about commenting on people's photos and I almost posted to it and had the thing written and deleted. But in it I had mentioned that I do not comment on pens from people who post almost everyday and you came to mind. Why, because there is just so many times you can say it looks great and in so many ways. Nothing against what you do Doc. I wish I could turn a pen or 2 aday to keep the Doc away:). Your work is well documented as some of the best on here and you need no words to boost your ego. I will state another great job though and the finish is spot on. But once again I will post to one of yours because it is different from what you have been showing and you asked for comments.

I love the pen and the thought about mixing media. But whenever I see something like this I feel more thought or creativety needs to be used when doing this. My thoughts to make this pen jump even better was to use the Amboyna as accent rings. I would have left a small ring of ivory at both the top and bottom and then a smaller ring of the burl and then the rest ivory. Doing this on both ends would really make this pen pop. The other idea if using a center piece I would have cut it on an extreme angle more than 45 degrees and centered it between 2 pieces of ivory. This is in the cap portion.

Just my 2¢

John, No need to apologize for your thoughts and no offense is taken. Recently, as with this post, I'm not asking for comments but just show the pen to look at and thank people for just looking. There are only so many adjectives in the English language and too many pretty pens..
John, As I mentioned to Tim, I would like to segment and try to do more but I think I need a miter saw. The only saw I have is my band saw. My band saw guide is too far away from the blade to angle cut a pen blank and the cuts are too rough. So far, all I can do is 90 degree cuts and sand them. A little frustrating:frown: ..and getting a little bored. I would really appreciate any suggestions about what to get to set up for segmenting...Regards, Doc

jttheclockman

Just my 2¢

John, No need to apologize for your thoughts and no offense is taken. Recently, as with this post, I'm not asking for comments but just show the pen to look at and thank people for just looking. There are only so many adjectives in the English language and too many pretty pens..
John, As I mentioned to Tim, I would like to segment and try to do more but I think I need a miter saw. The only saw I have is my band saw. My band saw guide is too far away from the blade to angle cut a pen blank and the cuts are too rough. So far, all I can do is 90 degree cuts and sand them. A little frustrating:frown: ..and getting a little bored. I would really appreciate any suggestions about what to get to set up for segmenting...Regards, Doc

Doc

Is the bandsaw the only tool you have for cutting blanks??? I assume you don't have a tablesaw???

You can spend as much money as you like on mitersaws. You can get anything from hand guided mitersaws to fancy laser miter saws. If you want to use the saw you have may require just some tune up and a good blade that you can take the wobble out of. Most people who do work on bandsaws build jigs to do their better cuttings. The response here would be huge and take up too much room to explain how to build jigs but the simple answer is 2 pieces of wood attached at 90 degrees and a runner underneath to match the guide on the table. You can then cut stop blaocks to any angle your heart desires. As far as getting a good finished cut. If you do not have a disc sander, then a simple piece of 80 grit paper adhered to a flat surface such as a piece of MDF board or a piece of glass. A couple passes over that making sure you keep the blank flat and it is a good glue joint.

wizard

Just my 2¢

Doc

Is the bandsaw the only tool you have for cutting blanks??? I assume you don't have a tablesaw???

You can spend as much money as you like on mitersaws. You can get anything from hand guided mitersaws to fancy laser miter saws. If you want to use the saw you have may require just some tune up and a good blade that you can take the wobble out of. Most people who do work on bandsaws build jigs to do their better cuttings. The response here would be huge and take up too much room to explain how to build jigs but the simple answer is 2 pieces of wood attached at 90 degrees and a runner underneath to match the guide on the table. You can then cut stop blacks to any angle your heart desires. As far as getting a good finished cut. If you do not have a disc sander, then a simple piece of 80 grit paper adhered to a flat surface such as a piece of MDF board or a piece of glass. A couple passes over that making sure you keep the blank flat and it is a good glue joint.

John,
The band saw is all I have to cut blanks with. My band saw blade and precision cutting do not seem to go together. I have the smallest cheapest Rikon bandsaw. When I purchased it, I just wanted to see if I would enjoy the hobby.
I looked at miter saws and need to find a simple one. I'm a little confused by what a double bevel or sliding type of saw is and necessity for a laser when referring to a miter saw. All I want is one that will be able to precisely cut pen blanks at angles for segmenting. So far what I am looking at is the DeWalt 10 inch single bevel miter saw for $219 and a 10 inch 80 tooth precision trim miter saw blade for $60. I don't really care about the rest of the bells and whistles unless there are some advantages that I don't know about.
You probably figured out by now that I'm not a big woodworker:redface:.
Regards,
Doc

el_d

That one is an "Empire Level 36191N Precision Miter Box". They have it on amazon for under 50 bucks.
Amazon had a few more "Precision Miter Box/Saw" at different prices.

I have a Stanley brand that I used to cut my blanks. It worked pretty good, never did any segmenting with it but I can cut a 1/8 inch "sliver" off the end of a blank.

I'm on my phone Doc if not I would send you the link.

Drstrangefart

Dude, you coulda told us you were released from captivity and returned to normal pen making hours. I was worried sick! Odd how the ransom note never showed..... Anyhow, excellent as usual. You seem to go an awful long way to make sure you never have an entry for the ugly pen contest....

Gary Beasley

A regular miter saw or chop saw is not friendly with small parts. I made a miter sled for my bandsaw from a square of plywood, screwed a runner to the bottom for the miter slot, and made a backstop of wood with thumbscrews and an array of holes for different angles to screw the backstop down with. Once assembled you just put the sled on the saw and run it into the blade up to the stop and it's ready to go. I put a small clamp on the backstop to butt the piece I'm cutting onto for repeat cuts, I made the sled for Celtic knots and it works quite well for that.

wizard

A regular miter saw or chop saw is not friendly with small parts. I made a miter sled for my bandsaw from a square of plywood, screwed a runner to the bottom for the miter slot, and made a backstop of wood with thumbscrews and an array of holes for different angles to screw the backstop down with. Once assembled you just put the sled on the saw and run it into the blade up to the stop and it's ready to go. I put a small clamp on the backstop to butt the piece I'm cutting onto for repeat cuts, I made the sled for Celtic knots and it works quite well for that.

Gary,
I tried to visualize how to make the sled for the band saw from the instructions you gave but am having a little difficulty. Is it possible for you to post or e-mail me a picture. I would really appreciate it. I searched through the threads and could only find a plan for a sled for 90 degree cuts. Doc

Drstrangefart

Gary,
I tried to visualize how to make the sled for the band saw from the instructions you gave but am having a little difficulty. Is it possible for you to post or e-mail me a picture. I would really appreciate it. I searched through the threads and could only find a plan for a sled for 90 degree cuts. Doc

If memory serves, it's quite similar to the 90-degree sled, except studs hold the top bar in place, and you can pick it up and set it in different holes in the sled to change angles. It's pretty slick.

Top Bottom