Amboyna Blood Wood Aluminum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mikespenturningz

Main Wood: Amboyna Burl
Segment Wood: Blood
Segment Metal: Aluminum
Hardware: Jr. Gent 2 Rhodium and 22K Gold

Ok this one was trouble from start to finish. Blew out the scallops on the cap toward the body. Repaired with Aluminum and a disk of blood wood. It came out great. Was sanding on the lower barrel and whacked my hurt finger on the sanding disk said something that I am not very proud of.:eek: Turned the lower barrel and got to the last cut, switched to my skew and blew off half the lower barrel, held my tongue on that one! Took my parting tool and cleared off the entire lower barrel and glued a new piece of Amboyna to it. Finished without any mishaps. Happy this one is done.:biggrin:

Hope you like it.

il_570xN.463416026_7azu.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

A great save, Mike. And thanks for the tip about 'skewing' the crap off the dead barrel and adding another hunk-o-wood. I'll be trying this with a blue Sweet Gum Ball blank that got away from me:rolleyes:

jjjaworski

An excellent looking pen Mike. I enjoy seeing your segmented work, it is so very well done.

I guess no matter what kind of mishaps we have turning things there is always some way to re-group and make a correction. Sometimes we learn new things that way that we would have never thought of.

walshjp17

Mike,

I thought I would note that I use Evernote to keep track of pen tips, inspirations, jigs, tools, finishing techniques and the like. I have one note entirely devoted to your wood and aluminum efforts. I have your tutorial and photos of every one of your creations.* When I get a bit of time, I plan to go into the shop with my small laptop, open Evernote and start working on a few segmented pens to see how it goes.

I will never get to your level of expertise, but I will have fun trying my hand at some of your masterpieces.

Thanks for sharing.

* I am not a stalker, merely a fan:biggrin::biggrin:

ossaguy

Another masterpiece,Mike!

It's amazing how you saved it,& didn't give up on it.Way to go!

Steve

edstreet

I impose a rule on doing things in the shop which is first mistake, walk away. Come back later. Why? Accidents just does not happen, they are a chain of events that lead to bad things. This is not just about shop safety but also about the product and encounter.

I have learned that when things go wrong they do happen in bunches because of various things like mood at the time, attention span, being distracted, and a whole slew of other things that will shift what happen and lead to problems.

All that said I have to point out good save here.

mikebpeters

Well done Mike - interesting how some pens fight back the whole way, but you can ultimately beat them, and others just say NO. then again, others just work.

You sure made lemonaid out of these lemons.

Top Bottom