Amboyna Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodmarc

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodmarc

in Bright Copper.

I tried a variation on the finish with this one. Sanded to 400 grit. I use General finished Seal-A-Cell finish as a starter. This gave me the grain depth and red color I was looking for. The blank was a little light on the lathe. Sanded to 600 grit. Another very light coat of Seal-A-Cell. Buffed with white Non-Abrasive. Then 4 coats of Medium CA. MM to 8000, CA and a final MM to 12000.

I am fairly happy with the finish, Just not the overall depth I was looking for.

Anyway I am looking comments both good and bad.

20061212384_AB-Baron-FP-Copper.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Very pretty pen and wood.
My instinct tells me that finishing the last coat of ca with just 12,000 mm might not make the last coat smooth enough. I would have not put the last coat on or sanded the last coat of ca from 800 or 1200 to 12,000.

woodmarc

I am still working on the CA finish. There really isn't much in the way of shine. I use a scanner for the pictures at the moment. The reflectivity is removed by the scanner software. Working on it.

The final coat was MM from 4000 to 12000. Between each coat of MM I used non-woven abrasive pads. I can't seem to get a smooth layer of CA.
Practice, practice, practice.

Skye

Looks good although I would have given the cap a little shape seeing how the body has some shape.

With your finishing, how are you applying the glue?

Try folding the paper towel to the width of one blank. Run a bead of glue on the edge of the fold, then touch that to the blank. Let the blank pull the CA off the towel, once it's on, give it a quick rub from the glue line of the towel, just enough to even it out. You dont want to wick all the glue off though. Next let it dry, cross sand with your #1 MM, both directions at an angle till it's ALL gray. No shiny unsanded streaks. Clean it off (I use DNA) and repeat two or 3 times. Last time take it all the way to 12,000 and top with a nice polish. With medium CA you'll have to act a little faster if you use something like Viva paper towels because it'll absorb quickly.

Good luck!

woodmarc

Nancy,
Glad you like the PITH Pen. I too use mine daily. I refuse to use it to pay bills with it!![:p] I sisn't get a chance to get a picture of it. If you get a chance, post one for me.

Skye,
Thanks for the CA tip. I'll give that a try tonight. I ue a "rags in a box" for an applicator. My problem is that the CA doesn't want to cure. I let the blank spin for about 5 minutes, came back to it and the glue was still wet, and most of it had flowed down hill and formed a small bead at the edge of the blank. Probably applying too much CA.
I rarely turn a B2B Pen. But amboyna being amboyna, I had a small tear out that neccessitated the B2B on this pen.
Oh and BTW Skye, there is a small sanding line near the clip that doesn't show in the photo! (just had too) [;)]

Skye

Ah, now youre being sneaky! lol

Yeah, if you have medium CA that's not drying in 5 minutes, you may want to look into getting a fresh bottle. I've used thin on my last few pens and it seems to dry fairly quickly. Oh, and I also put my glue on at the lowest speed and sometimes I'll leave it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom