The Amber Room

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BRobbins629

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
This is one I've been working on for a long time. The inspiration comes from the amber room in Russia which is covered entirely in amber and gold. The hardest part was figuring how to get the raw amber into a tube, but after many attempts was successful. The clip is patterned after one of the designs on the wall. I also incorporated my first side button filler which when depressed will compress the internal sac for loading ink. A locking mechanism prevents accidental depression. Little did I know before making it, but this design is quite similar to the Jaxon "Stud Filler" associated with Conklin in the early 1900s.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• amber room 1.jpg
    amber room 1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 888
  • Pushbutton.JPG
    Pushbutton.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 801
  • Raw amber.JPG
    Raw amber.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 867
  • Amber open smaller.JPG
    Amber open smaller.JPG
    246.2 KB · Views: 869
  • Amber Closed.jpg
    Amber Closed.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 810
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ironman123

Well isn't that impressive looking. Very interesting clip. I don't know anything much about fountain pens but I like that style.

Thanks for showing it.

Ray

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Bruce, everything I thought I knew about making FPs, just went out the window. That's just too cool. I will be paying more attention. Thanks for showing it.

jmbaker79

That is exceptional! The Clip gave it away for me on the match the maker! Amber is some incredible stuff, way to make it work for you!

Ed McDonnell

Hi Bruce - There's a lot to like about your creation from both a technical and artistic perspective. But the button sticking out left me wondering how it would be to write with. The picture you submitted with the hand holding it made it look like it wouldn't get in the way, but it just seemed like it would the more I looked at it. I guess since I've never used a pen with a side button filler I don't have a frame of reference.

I'm assuming the clip was cast. (may be a bad assumption, but it's what I'm going with) Did you hand carve the wax master for the clip or did you cad/cam it? Really nice job however you did it.

Ed

PS your nails look really nice in the hand picture....:biggrin:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
parklandturner; - Hi Bruce - There's a lot to like about your creation from both a technical and artistic perspective. But the button sticking out left me wondering how it would be to write with. The picture you submitted with the hand holding it made it look like it wouldn't get in the way, but it just seemed like it would the more I looked at it. I guess since I've never used a pen with a side button filler I don't have a frame of reference.

The reason I took the picture with the hand was indeed to show no interference. Very similar to crescent fillers. I originally was worried too, but it worked out fine as long as the nib was aligned correctly.

I'm assuming the clip was cast. (may be a bad assumption, but it's what I'm going with) Did you hand carve the wax master for the clip or did you cad/cam it? Really nice job however you did it.

Yes, the clip was cast - cad/cam

Ed

PS your nails look really nice in the hand picture....:biggrin:
Why thank you. I worked really hard on them:)

Top Bottom