Amber Piston Fill Demonstrator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

It's been a while since I made a piston filler, so I figured the time was right to do so, since I have acquired some new tools and tricks since the last time I made one.

This one is pretty straightforward and simple. There isn't much flash to it, but I enjoy being able to see the mechanism, and the ink sloshing around in it. It's made from transparent amber acrylic, black ebonite, and has a bronze clip. The piston mechanism is made from aluminum and ebonite, and has a double o-ring seal.

It operates using a true differential system, meaning when you unscrew the blind cap on the end of the barrel, the piston moves down towards the nib, expelling all the air (or ink) in the barrel. To fill, you submerge the nib in a bottle of ink while the piston is forward, and screw the blind cap back down to draw the piston back up, and the ink into the barrel. The third picture shows the piston in it's extended state. I really like this type of mechanism because you don't actually have to unscrew the blind cap completely off...just enough to extend the piston!
13699957_10101240614401109_8840031620320375202_n.jpg

13726788_10101240614446019_8330111849854906327_n.jpg

13729169_10101240614431049_7367562109082233434_n.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Intriguing Pen, John.
Clever use of Transparent Material to show the internals and workings of your Pen.
Obviously considerable Skill and Experience required for such an undertaking.
Great Profile and Proportions,
Superb Fit and Finish.
Congratulations,
Brian.

javier75

I have no words, that pen with that piston is astonishing. What a beautiful pen you have made, my sincere congratulations. And if you think that I did my thread with the lathe, I will tell you that I did it with a mold, so, the envious one about your skills it´s me. Again, congratulations

Imaginethat

Sir, a very beautiful pen. When you made the piston did you make it with something to seal it to the cylinder? The making of the mechanism intrigues me, not to copy but as an old car mechanic and retired machinist.

jalbert

Sir, a very beautiful pen. When you made the piston did you make it with something to seal it to the cylinder? The making of the mechanism intrigues me, not to copy but as an old car mechanic and retired machinist.

Thanks Dennis!
The head of the piston has O-rings on it to create the seal inside the barrel.

haskoson

John, this is beautiful.
Incredible super cool filling mechanism.
This makes me wishing for a metal lathe even more.
My deepest respect for your workmanship.

Gerrit

jalbert

John, this is beautiful.
Incredible super cool filling mechanism.
This makes me wishing for a metal lathe even more.
My deepest respect for your workmanship.

Gerrit

Thanks Gerrit! I love my metal lathe. I have great respect for those who use a wood lathe for kitless pens. My first kitless was on a wood lathe, and I hated the process so much I went and bought a metal lathe!

jalbert

That is one awesome pen! I have one question. What keeps the filler knob at the end of the body from unscrewing completely.

Thanks Tony.[/QUOTE

Thanks Tony!
There is a shoulder on the inside of the barrel that the piston head butts up against once it's reached the end of its travel. At that point, the whole mechanism locks up and the knob will not turn anymore.

Top Bottom