Am I the only one who dosn't like this pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kingkeyman

kingkeyman

This is probably the most disappointing pen I've completed. I made it for a deer hunting friend of mine. I had extremely high hopes for this pen when I first started it. When I saw the end results I was disgusted. The pen was bulky, and the hardware was just plane ugly when matched with the antler. I made my friend another pen and just put this one away. Over the following months I've had nothing but positive comments about this pen, so this morning I put it with some pens I had for sale at my lock shop. Somebody just bought it for $40, and the price on the pen was only $35,I only expected $25. Eye of the beholder?

Attachments

• picture001.jpg
    picture001.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 558
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Its "in the eye of the beholder". I see many pens I would not make or would not put the components and material they used together in the same room much less together on a pen. Some one will always seem to be enchanted and thrilled with it. As a rule let your customers decide for you. You couldnt stand it but some one liked it well enough to buy it.

JohnU

It's a little on the big side but not a bad pen at all, especially to someone who identifies with deer antler. I know guys that would grab that up in a heartbeat. It's like any other pen made, if you target a specific type of person or interest group, it appeals to them so they buy it. They like what they see, even if your not find of it. It's like ugly stamps to a postal worker, dried flowers in resin for a florist or a black tube with a blue line on it for a cop. You just never know what will appeal to someone.

Sataro

It would make a good pen to leave laying on a desk. I would not carry it around myself. On the other hand my Dad is a deer hunter. He would grab it in a second. He thinks everything in the house should have antler attached to it somehow.

vakmere

This is probably the most disappointing pen I've completed. I made it for a deer hunting friend of mine. I had extremely high hopes for this pen when I first started it. When I saw the end results I was disgusted. The pen was bulky, and the hardware was just plane ugly when matched with the antler. I made my friend another pen and just put this one away. Over the following months I've had nothing but positive comments about this pen, so this morning I put it with some pens I had for sale at my lock shop. Somebody just bought it for $40, and the price on the pen was only $35,I only expected $25. Eye of the beholder?

Try one out of spare ribs next time. That will most likely find a home also.

mikebpeters

Its funny, I've learned that as long as a pen that I make is technically competent then I need to put it out. Too many times pens that I have experimented with and hate the look of have attracted people straight to them.

Very much "Eye of the Beholder!"

Boz

When dealing with natural materials like antler each one is going to be unique just like nature Turning it to a perfect shape takes away the uniqueness of it. As you have found out what may not be to your liking is just perfect to another.

Hendu3270

I'm not a big fan of that particular pen, no. I think it would look much better if the turned portion were turned down a little more so it flowed more smoothly from the larger diameter. Maybe scrap the gold center band and turn one from something that looks more natural. I don't know, just thinking out loud here. But like you said, it sold, so congrats!

Top Bottom