Aluminum & Walnut Celtic Knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from AlexL

AlexL

This is a european in big leaf maple burl with a custom wooden center band and celtic knot. The celtic knot is made from walnut laminated between two thin strips of aluminum. I used a piece of the lamination for the centerband too. The finish is ca. I made this pen for the Klingspor Woodworking Showcase this spring. I ended up winning 1st place and best in class for the youth division.

1_IMG_2928__800x600_.jpg

1_IMG_2929__800x600_.jpg

1_IMG_2930__800x600___800x600_.jpg

1_IMG_2932__800x600_.jpg

1_IMG_2931__800x600_.jpg

Last edited:

JohnU

Alex, I can see why you won. This pen is beautiful! I like the material selected and what you did with it. Ive been wanting to do something similar to this with some Koa and Ivory I have. Nice Work!

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice work! And your choice of accent wood & aluminum in the celtic knot really adds to the beauty.

Congrats on the 1st place.

bitshird

That is a real nice pen, easy to see why it won first place, How did you sand the inlays with out staining the wood with the aluminum residue?

AlexL

That is a real nice pen, easy to see why it won first place, How did you sand the inlays with out staining the wood with the aluminum residue?

Thanks, actually I just sanded it. I guess it didn't stain because I didn't know it might be a problem :eek:

jedgerton

Alex,

That's potentially the nicest looking Euro I've seen of any design. They should have something better than 1st place for this pen. Outstanding work!

John

ngeb528

Way to go, Alex. Congrats on winning. Although, I personally think that any of your pens would win. Great job.

VisExp

That's a stunning pen Alex. Well done. The work on the segmenting and the center band is top notch. Your finish isn't to shabby either :biggrin:

MattDaddy

Great pen Alex. Keep making pens like that and you'll be able to fund Harvard Medical with enough left over for a new Porsche! You are a talented artist.

jedgerton

Ok Alex, I have to take back all the good things I said. I noted your comment about the youth division so I checked out your public profile. It's just not fair that you can turn out pens like this when so many of us with far more years of experience struggle to keep up.

I hope you had some help on this and that certainly would be cool. Otherwise I should just put all of my tools on Craigslist tomorrow!

John

AlexL

Ok Alex, I have to take back all the good things I said. I noted your comment about the youth division so I checked out your public profile. It's just not fair that you can turn out pens like this when so many of us with far more years of experience struggle to keep up.

I hope you had some help on this and that certainly would be cool. Otherwise I should just put all of my tools on Craigslist tomorrow!

John

Sometimes I get help from my dad when I can't figure out a problem. But I do ALL the turning myself. My dad is not a woodturner. Most of the times my dad will make the cuts on the tablesaw and most of the cuts on the bandsaw but I do the drilling, finishing etc. Sometimes when I'm really busy with pen orders my dad helps with the gluing of the blanks. On THIS pen because it was for a contest my dad made me do everything myself to be fair. When I had problems with the pepsi can aluminum for the lamination and couldn't get it to stay flat, even though he knew the answer my dad made me research it myself. I found the answer here to use gutter flashing.

BTW, could you send me a list of the tools you are putting on craigslist before you post it? I'm looking for a few things :biggrin: alex

jedgerton

Sometimes I get help from my dad when I can't figure out a problem. But I do ALL the turning myself. My dad is not a woodturner. Most of the times my dad will make the cuts on the tablesaw and most of the cuts on the bandsaw but I do the drilling, finishing etc. Sometimes when I'm really busy with pen orders my dad helps with the gluing of the blanks. On THIS pen because it was for a contest my dad made me do everything myself to be fair. When I had problems with the pepsi can aluminum for the lamination and couldn't get it to stay flat, even though he knew the answer my dad made me research it myself. I found the answer here to use gutter flashing.

BTW, could you send me a list of the tools you are putting on craigslist before you post it? I'm looking for a few things :biggrin: alex

Alex,

I don't know whether to be impressed or depressed :wink:. I guess I had better keep my tools so I can try to catch up! Keep up the great work!

John

OKLAHOMAN

Alex, congratulations on both the win and the front page both well deserved. You are one talented young man.

Top Bottom