Aluminum on Titanium

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Started this last night and finished today. It's one of John Goodin's aluminum blanks on a Black Titanium Jr. Gentleman brought to a satin finish. Turned with carbide tools, sanded to 600 grit, MM (wet) from 1200 to 12000 grit, and then brought to a mirror finish with Brasso Polish. To get a satin finish, I air etched the pen on the lathe at slow speed with a Paasche Air Eraser using AE-X cutting compound at 50 lb/sq in. I had previously made an aluminum Navigator pen that I left as a "shiny thingy". :rolleyes:
Hope everyone has a great weekend. As always, thank you for taking the time to look. Doc:)

Attachments

• Aluminum on Titanium Jr. Gentleman.jpg
    Aluminum on Titanium Jr. Gentleman.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 247
  • Aluminum on Titanium Jr. Gentleman_1.jpg
    Aluminum on Titanium Jr. Gentleman_1.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 235
  • Aluminum on Titanium Jr. Gentleman_2.jpg
    Aluminum on Titanium Jr. Gentleman_2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 243
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

latelearner

:cool: That is really awesome! Since I have only turned wood and acrylic, let me ask a stupid question. How do the blanks come for aluminum? Are they round or square, and are they difficult to turn?

wizard

:cool: That is really awesome! Since I have only turned wood and acrylic, let me ask a stupid question. How do the blanks come for aluminum? Are they round or square, and are they difficult to turn?

Larry, The blanks are round and made of 6061 grade aluminum. John Goodin (aka JohnnyCNC) sells both the predrilled and reamed aluminum blanks as well as the do it yourself blanks which need squaring off and to be drilled and reamed. The aluminum is not to hard to turn but it takes a toll on your tools. I started out my first aluminum pen using HSS tools and found that carbide tools were smoother to work and did not require sharpening tools every few minutes. I hope that helps. Doc

Jgrden

Having worked with Titanium, I have the utmost respect for your work. It is beautiful. Puts mine to shame. I think I will take mine apart and finish it using your suggestions.

toddlajoie

Front page vote, #1.

#2, The one up there now is getting old on the eyes!!!:wink:

I LOVED the "Shiny Thing", but I'm in full agreement with many here that satin looks even better...It matches with the Black Ti much better than I would have thought!!

I've got a Slimline blank set I was given by another member here several months ago that I have not had the courage to try yet, but I'm feeling the urge to give it a shot....

jttheclockman

Must be my monitor but I can't tell what color that aluminum is. Looks like a tan. Not a big fan of the black background people are using these days. Washes out the pen too much in my opinion. I too think satin is the way to go. thanks for showing.

wizard

Must be my monitor but I can't tell what color that aluminum is. Looks like a tan. Not a big fan of the black background people are using these days. Washes out the pen too much in my opinion. I too think satin is the way to go. thanks for showing.

The aluminum was a mirror finish prior to air etching. Once it had been air etched, the surface has a frosted appearance that may be diffusing some of the light from the lamp of the light box. Don't know:confused:. I don't see it as tan on my monitor. Does anyone else see it as tan? Doc

arw01

Maybe, if I had not read the story before I clicked the photo I could see the slight tan. Could be a function of light color as a shiny metal would take the color of the light.

If you go too high of a temperature, it will be cold blue. Should you own a an 18% gray card with accurate color rendition, you can shoot one photo with that in the image, and then use those values in photoshop or gimp to adjust the color balance.

However, this is a stunning pen and good photography, so I wouldn't fret about it one littl bit!

Top Bottom