Aluminum Slim & Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from New Bill

New Bill

Bought a 20' stick of (20' is the smallest piece they sell locally - lots of pen blanks) 6061 aluminum awhile back to play with. These are #8 and 9 I've made from aluminum.

One piece chrome slimline. Shaped it a little bigger than my regular slim and proportioned it more to my liking.

Gunmetal cigar. Tried to give it long sweeping curves.

Start to finish done on a wood lathe.

Hope you like them.

409003191.jpg
[/IMG]

409003193.jpg
[/IMG]

409003194.jpg
[/IMG]

409003192.jpg
[/IMG]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krudwig

Love the pens! The aluminuim is really sleek and elegant and the cigar pen with the details is just awesome. I've turned a pen with a part of the bottom tube in aluminuim and really like the feel in your hand. Did you us hss tools or carbide? They both are amazing!

New Bill

Thanks for the comments. I use mostly carbide but will use hss on areas I can't reach with the carbide. After sanding, they get polished on the lathe with tripoli and white diamond. A coat of car paste wax after that. The oldest one is about 4 months old. No sign of dulling or oxidation yet.

CrimsonKeel

How do you get the tip to come out on the slimline?
also does the aluminum leave residue on your hands if you dont keep up with the waxing?

Both those pens are beautiful

New Bill

How do you get the tip to come out on the slimline?

You just twist the nib end. That's the only thing I don't like about the one piece slims. There is a tutorial in the library on how to make them. They're really easy.

also does the aluminum leave residue on your hands if you dont keep up with the waxing?

I've only waxed them once. I made a cigar pencil and use it in my shop every day. No residue ever.

Both those pens are beautiful

Thanks!

Top Bottom