Aluminum Segmenting=Bandaids

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from INSierra

INSierra

Did my first segmented pen today. It is Brazilian Cherry and Purpleheart with aluminum. As the title states, the aluminum sticking out of the glued up blank cuts like a scalpel. Need to buy stock in Bandaids. Used Gorilla Glue and let it set for 24 hours. Please feel free to comment. It helps me get better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 305

magpens

That looks VERY Good !! What thickness is the aluminum ? Also wondering why you didn't glue with CA.

INSierra

I had actually read up on segmenting and saw reviews from people using epoxy, ca, and gorilla. I had used wood glue and gorilla on my wood to wood segments in the past with excellent results. So I gave it a shot. I also like Gorilla because there is more work time while putting the blank together and clamping it. I was also liberal with the ca when I put the tubes in so as to give it a little more internal strength.

I have another aluminum/wood blank glued up and in the clamp curing now that I am making for a coworker. Hopefully will post a pic of that sometime this week.

The aluminum is just off a pop can. I sanded it down to get all paint/sealers off. Then wiped it down with mineral spirits and a dry paper towel. I may get flashing from the local hardware store soon. The thickness of the pop can works pretty well. Very easy to work with. Minus the cuts.

Top Bottom