Aluminum Long Click

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mbroberg

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
This was my first attempt at aluminum. No problem drilling it, but the turning wasn't going so well until I got a hold of JohnnyCNC who provided me with the information I needed to get the job done. I WILL be doing more aluminum pens. The hardware is Titanium Gold. I just used wax to finish it. Next time I think I will go for the brushed aluminum look rather than smooth and shiny.

Honest feedback is welcome.

Attachments

• 1101097000.JPG
    1101097000.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Mike.
I love it! I've been thinking about doing this, and wondered how it would look. Now I know! The answer is "beautiful"!

corian king

Very nice pen Mike!!
I have done around a dozen aluminum pens and I love working with it.
I noticed you said something about doing a brushed finish is there a trick to doing that?
Thanks!
JIM

Last edited:

Rangertrek

Very nice work on the metal pen. I do like the look of the gold and silver combination. I have not yet ventured into working with metal, you may have given me some inspiration to give it a try.!

wizard

Mike, That is a beautiful pen! I love the aluminum and TiGold combination. Looks very sleek and elegant! Regards, Doc

mbroberg

Thank you all for the nice comments.:biggrin:

Very nice pen Mike!!
I noticed you said something about doing a brushed finish is there a trick to doing that?

I haven't tried it yet, but I will be experimenting with steel wool to get the brushed aluminum look.

I LIKE IT!

Can you PM me the process? I would like to try it!

There is a lot of information to be gained by doing a keyword search (aluminum). I'll PM a bullet list of things to get you started.

ctubbs

Mike, while you are making the pm, why not go ahead and post it here.
That is one super sharp pen, no pun intended. At first sight, I thought ouch when I saw the gold and aluminum against each other. but when I opened my eyes and really saw that beauty of those two metals together, WOW! I'd have never had the courage to hang them together like that. Gorgeous! Keep up the great work. Your fit and finish is incredible. Satin finish, along with the bright gold you used or maybe even polished chrome. Yes Mike, that will work. Just another of your great creations.
Charles

pensmyth

SUPER NICE! I've been wanting to try one of these for some time now using my carbide tip tools. Did you get your stock from Johnny? You'll have to pm me your bullet list of how you started. Again awesome job.

mbroberg

I did get my stock from Johnny. All the information needed on turning aluminum is already provided on the IAP. One tip, don't use a carbide tool. You will have better luck with HSS. Using a carbide tool is what was causing me problems at first. Johnny sent me back to HSS. I was able to finish the turning easily with a 3/8 spindle gouge.

Top Bottom