Aluminum Kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made this over a period of a few weeks:redface:. It's my first aluminum kitless..first time I've worked with aluminum on metal lathe to make a kitless pen. Used the wood lathe for the front end of the section. Fountain pen with a #6 Medium Point Polished Bock nib..Wanted to thank Mike Roux (bluwolf) for the encouragement to make this. Hope you like it. Doc:)

Edit: The finish is from "sand" blasting with Aluminum oxide with an airbrush

Attachments

• Aluminum Kitless_1.jpg
    Aluminum Kitless_1.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 241
  • Aluminum Kitless.jpg
    Aluminum Kitless.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 246
  • Aluminum Kitless_2.jpg
    Aluminum Kitless_2.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 236
  • Aluminum Kitless_3.jpg
    Aluminum Kitless_3.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Beautiful piece, Doc! I particularly like the "seamless" look where the cap meets the pen body. Excellent design and execution!

maxman400

Another Great Looking Pen Doc. Is that glare or a small scratch just above and to the right of the clip. I made an aluminum roller ball and I keep it in a box, but every time I look at it there is a new scra.tch on it. Very Nice photos

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Great start on it Doc. THe finial on the cap doesnt look right to me. Its either a little long or needs a hair more taper or both. That is a personal preference/opionon not an issue with the making of the pen.

bluwolf

I knew you could do it Doc. It looks great! How did you like working with it? Is this something you would do again?

Mike

Drstrangefart

Ummmmm..... Dude...... I don't know how to tell you this, but that's one of the best I've seen so far. Not really effective words to sum it up. I love the aluminum stuff.

OKLAHOMAN

Once more you've hit a home run. Your exacution was great and the shape is right on, just the top is a little long but as Mike said thats personal taste no reflection on your work.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You're the front runner now Doc. I had a feeling we would see something like this. I like the shape of the pen, and the brushed finish. Another beauty.

crabcreekind

Awesome Pen! I dont know much about working with metal, but for the threads. Did you use your die for them? Or did you cut them with the tool on the lathe?

wizard

Hey, congratulations Doc! Another milestone. I like the finish and the shape--sort of minimalist. Beautiful, graceful section, as usual. Onward!

Robert, Thank you !! Doc

Beautiful piece, Doc! I particularly like the "seamless" look where the cap meets the pen body. Excellent design and execution!

Thanks for for the compliment Andy! Doc

Lookin' good Doc!

Thanks Jeremy! Doc

Another Great Looking Pen Doc. Is that glare or a small scratch just above and to the right of the clip. I made an aluminum roller ball and I keep it in a box, but every time I look at it there is a new scra.tch on it. Very Nice photos

Mike, Thank you! That spot I think is a reflection..don't see it on pen or other pictures..but you're right..aluminum does scratch easy..:redface: Thanks again. Doc

Great start on it Doc. THe finial on the cap doesnt look right to me. Its either a little long or needs a hair more taper or both. That is a personal preference/opionon not an issue with the making of the pen.

Mike, Thanks! I think the finial is too long too. I was trying to center the clip between the top of finial and bottom edge of cap...In retrospect...I wish I had made the finial short....and think I may go ahead and shorten it:) and post picture. Doc

Superb execution Doc. Really clean lines. I'm not a lover of aluminium, but keep 'em coming I feel a conversion coming on!

John, Thanks so much...and lol..regarding the conversion...you're not supposed to read my thoughts :).

Doc
I knew you could do it Doc. It looks great! How did you like working with it? Is this something you would do again?

Mike

Mike, Thanks so much my friend...I wouldn't have even attempted this if it weren't for your encouragement. I loved working on it..some things I would change in retrospect. Would I do it again...LOL..Yes..as soon as I get the swarf out of my index finger:rolleyes:. Thanks so much! Regards, Doc

Ummmmm..... Dude...... I don't know how to tell you this, but that's one of the best I've seen so far. Not really effective words to sum it up. I love the aluminum stuff.

Allan, Thanks Dude :wink:. Doc

wizard

Once more you've hit a home run. Your exacution was great and the shape is right on, just the top is a little long but as Mike said thats personal taste no reflection on your work.

Roy, Thanks so much...I agree with the finial..I think it's about to lose it's head :wink:. Regards, Doc

Doc,
Simply fantastic. Love that brushed finish. Works great with that pen.

Cris, Thank you. Doc

Sweet one Doc and a little out of the box. I like it.

Thanks Bruce!..lol. definitely out of my box. Doc

Very cool Doc.

Two thumbs up!!!!!

Lupe, Thank you! Doc

You're the front runner now Doc. I had a feeling we would see something like this. I like the shape of the pen, and the brushed finish. Another beauty.

Chuck..Thank you! LOL..I'm definitely no front runner..just attempting to keep up. You guys in Florida are killer! Congratulation on your new lathe!
Doc

Awesome Pen! I dont know much about working with metal, but for the threads. Did you use your die for them? Or did you cut them with the tool on the lathe?

James, Thank you! I used the die...My lathe is imperial threading...Justin (Timebandit) showed me the information on how to get close enough to metric so I don't have to change to metric gears and leadscrew.So I've got some practice ahead of me. Regards, Doc.

That's crazy Doc!! Stealthy and cool...you expect to see a laser or something built in!

Jim, Thank you! LOL...My wife calls it the James Bond 007 pen. Regards, Doc

Awesome looking pen , now would like to see a mixed media acrylic / aluminum.

Don Vann

Don, Thank you!..LOL..you just had to go ahead and challenge me..LOL..now I have to push further. Regards, Doc

Wow, I really like the way your pen turned out, much better than my aluminum one. Guess I'll just have to make another.

Steve, Thanks so much! Your pen is just fine. We are all learning..and LOL..I have a ways to go. Regards, Doc

Top Bottom