Aluminum Jr. Gentleman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it this morning. Blanks are predrilled ones from johnnycnc AKA John Goodin. Fairly easy to turn. Used Norton 3X sandpaper as per John's directions. I had some micromesh and went ahead and took the finish to 12000 grit and then Brasso. Went with the gold Jr. Gentleman for the contrast.
I had a hard time keeping fingerprints and dust off the pen to take the pictures. Anyway, I hope everyone has a great day and, as always, thank you very much for looking. Doc :)

Attachments

• Aluminum Jr Gentleman.jpg
    Aluminum Jr Gentleman.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 371
  • Aluminum Jr Gentleman_2.jpg
    Aluminum Jr Gentleman_2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 251
  • Aluminum Jr Gentleman_3.jpg
    Aluminum Jr Gentleman_3.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dgscott

Looks wonderful. I'm wondering what you do to keep the aluminum from oxidizing. I've put a CA finish on my brass and aluminum pens, but I'm not sure how it holds up over time. Any info would be appreciated.
Doug

wizard

Looks wonderful. I'm wondering what you do to keep the aluminum from oxidizing. I've put a CA finish on my brass and aluminum pens, but I'm not sure how it holds up over time. Any info would be appreciated.
Doug

Doug,
I don't think I'm much help. I could not get the CA finish just right on the shiny metal without having ridges (noted only when you look close). I removed some of the CA and I've used two coats of Ren Wax as it is supposed to prevent fingerprints and has an antioxidant property. I'm not sure how it will hold up either. Regards, Doc.

jttheclockman

Very nice work on that one. When I was playing around with alum. pens I used the brushed look. All I did was hit it with a nonwoven pad and it helps with the fingerprints. I was going to try polishing to a high shine as yours and then powdercoating them but never got around to it. The thing with that is you need to over turn it because of the thickness of the powdercoating and I need to practice before I can commit to it. Nice job with this and thanks for showing.

Boz

Now that is just fantastic. I restore old British motorcycles and they have lots of aluminum that need to be polished. Nothing looks better when done right. There are a number of metal polishes that cut down on the oxidation. Do you have a link for John Goodin to get a hold of some of those blanks?

animefan

I don't know how to prevent oxidizing but there a number of polishing compounds that can used to really make it shine like chrome. Just about anything that can be used on tire rims can used on aluminum.

DurocShark

Don't worry about oxidizing. If it starts to powder, a quick rub down with Brasso or mag wheel polish will take care of it. But using it once a week or more has been enough in my experience to keep that from happening.

maxman400

Doc, It Looks Great you might try "Never Dull" I know it works very well on car stuff but then that is not handled as much as a pen.

Top Bottom