Aluminum Jr. Gent II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Got these blanks from Johnnycnc . Pre-drilled and reamed cut to length . I worked on these to get the best finish , then gave up .:rolleyes: Kit is Gold Ti Jr. Gent II RB . I used Johns bushings too . Thanks for looking !

Attachments

• IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0515.JPG
    IMG_0515.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 265
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Love the gold with it. Makes for a professiomal looking pen. How did you finish the aluminum??? Is it highly polished or a cut above a satin look??? Did you put a finish on it??? Thanks for showing.

Rollerbob

So Chuck, when are you going to make a video using a skew on aluminum? Really sharp looking. Spect John is a proud poppa. Wouldn't be suprised to see front page on this one!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Love the gold with it. Makes for a professiomal looking pen. How did you finish the aluminum??? Is it highly polished or a cut above a satin look??? Did you put a finish on it??? Thanks for showing.
John , I did all of the polishing on the lathe . Wet sand with mineral spirits to 2400 , then use metal polishes . I recommend checking out Johns instructions on his site . www.penturnersproducts.com Thank you for the compliment .

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
So Chuck, when are you going to make a video using a skew on aluminum? Really sharp looking. Spect John is a proud poppa. Wouldn't be suprised to see front page on this one!
Thanks brother Bob ! I may consider that , but don't know if my little camera is suitable . AND , I'm a hack at using a skew ! :redface: But , I did it . :)

jttheclockman

John , I did all of the polishing on the lathe . Wet sand with mineral spirits to 2400 , then use metal polishes . I recommend checking out Johns instructions on his site . www.penturnersproducts.com Thank you for the compliment .

Chuck, thanks. I have done aluminum pens before and left mine a satin finish because of fingerprints. This year I want to try powdercoating them after I take them to a high polished shine. Not sure if that will take away the feel of the aluminum though. Thanks for showing.

IMGP0368-1.jpg

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thank you for showing this one John . This is my second aluminum pen . The other one was a trade in the PITH , which I had powder coated . It was polished same as this pen . Here's the problem . When I took it to get the coating , the guy said they would have to scuff it up to coat it . :eek: After I did all of that polishing . John says you can clean it with acetone (no finger touching), to get the polishing compounds /chemicals off of it . I think this would work , and you can still clear powder coat with the polished finish . This is what I was after , but at $75.00 minimum , it won't happen . I've considered a powder coating gun . Thanks for the interest !

jttheclockman

Thank you for showing this one John . This is my second aluminum pen . The other one was a trade in the PITH , which I had powder coated . It was polished same as this pen . Here's the problem . When I took it to get the coating , the guy said they would have to scuff it up to coat it . :eek: After I did all of that polishing . John says you can clean it with acetone (no finger touching), to get the polishing compounds /chemicals off of it . I think this would work , and you can still clear powder coat with the polished finish . This is what I was after , but at $75.00 minimum , it won't happen . I've considered a powder coating gun . Thanks for the interest !

Oh yea you do not need to scuff it to powdercoat it at all. I do it all the time with my cartridge shells after I highly polish them. I think they come out just fine and so do my customers. By the way I am not trying to hijack your post. Your pen looks great. I want to try that on a kit like that too. Just have to do it in the spring because it is toooooooo cold to powdercoat in the garage this time of the year.

cartridgepengoodone-1.jpg

Last edited:

BigguyZ

That looks amazing! I'm usually not a fan of gold in general, but that just works!

One question- did you just polish it to the high shine? If so, how is it holding up? I did a high polish Alu pen, and found that it scratched really easily, as Alu is fairly soft.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Neil !

Travis , I guess I got the same Alu that you got . I've only had it done for two days , and it's laying here on the desk . :wink: I expect it will get scratched .

el_d

Very Nice Chuck, love the color combo. And I need to try the aluminum.
I liked the other one you posted too Chuck. Really classy and refined.....

Top Bottom