Aluminum on Copper Sedona

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it this A.M. It's Aluminum on a Copper Sedona. The aluminum is one of John Goodin's blanks (aka johnnycnc). Turned with EasyWood Tools with carbide cutting tips. Sanded from 150 to 600 grit, MM (wet) from 1500 to 12000 followed by Brasso Polish on cloth at low and then high speed. Buffed with clean microfiber cloth to a mirror finish. To minimize fingerprints, I airbrushed the finished blanks with superfine Aluminum Oxide using a Paasche airbrush. Placed on a Shiny Copper Sedona for contrast. Not sure how I feel about this pen. Looked better as an idea.:rolleyes: Took the picture on several different backgrounds and the textured aluminum reflected off each color giving it a unnatural hue. Stuck with black since it seemed to do that less. It still reflects the black background hiding some of edges of the fittings of the kit:frown:. Need to add stronger side lighting around my box. Comments welcome but most of all thanks for just looking. Doc:)

Attachments

• Aluminum on Copper Sedona_2.jpg
    Aluminum on Copper Sedona_2.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 247
  • Aluminum on Copper Sedona_1.jpg
    Aluminum on Copper Sedona_1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 125
  • Aluminum on Copper Sedona.jpg
    Aluminum on Copper Sedona.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 191
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

Another one knocked out of the park. The only critical thing I can say is that I don't own it. The same applies to every one of your pens I've seen so far. I tried to turn past midnight last night to see if I awakened supernatural powers, but the power went out partway through MicroMesh on a pen a little BEFORE midnight. BAH!

maxman400

Doc, I agree it is really hard to see in the photo, you should send it to me for a closer look. I am sure I could check it out and have it back to you by December.... But if you Don't I'll understand and by the way it still looks Good From Here.

Well as you may know I love the copper kits. I don`t know how long the coatings will last but I still love the looks. Why is yours faceted on the nib and mine aint?
I would have loved to see the natural aluminum on this one coated with CA. To me from my house it looks like a gray PR.
The pen looks industrial.

redfishsc

Looks very, very elegant, well executed!

The airbrush thing--- is the aluminum oxide one of those al-ox clear coatings, or is this the al-ox abrasive that you'd use as if you were beading it with a small blaster gun? Either way, it's quite nice looking.

The only thing I would have done different is to make it closed end, about 1" longer, and with a gentle taper that ends in a roundover (mimicking the cap shape, just smaller).

I've done a number of Sedonas this way. Personally I prefer them to the Baron, but my customers always pick a Baron or a Stretch... so I'm alone around here in that opinion :D

wizard

Well as you may know I love the copper kits. I don`t know how long the coatings will last but I still love the looks. Why is yours faceted on the nib and mine aint?
I would have loved to see the natural aluminum on this one coated with CA. To me from my house it looks like a gray PR.
The pen looks industrial.

Brian,
I'm not sure how long the plating will last especially where this is going. I made it for a person who works at a hardware store that sells fixtures such as door signs, knockers, mailboxes, and bathroom fixtures in satin, brushed, and shiny finishes in brass, copper, stainless, nickel etc. I'm not sure the plating will hold with the use but the fingerprints should be less with the satin finish. I'm not sure why the Copper Sedona kit nib is faceted. I get it at at Woodcraft. It does look industrial. :rolleyes:. Regards, Doc

wizard

Looks very, very elegant, well executed!

The airbrush thing--- is the aluminum oxide one of those al-ox clear coatings, or is this the al-ox abrasive that you'd use as if you were beading it with a small blaster gun? Either way, it's quite nice looking.

The only thing I would have done different is to make it closed end, about 1" longer, and with a gentle taper that ends in a roundover (mimicking the cap shape, just smaller).

I've done a number of Sedonas this way. Personally I prefer them to the Baron, but my customers always pick a Baron or a Stretch... so I'm alone around here in that opinion :D

Matt, The airbrush thing is more like Aluminum Oxide as you would use it in a bead blaster except it's with a miniature size Paasche hobby or art airbrush with a MX-6 Al-Ox fine eraser compound specific for that airbrush/eraser. It's not powder coated or anodized. I would love to make it closed ended except the blanks come predrilled all the way through. Regards, Doc

ToddMR

Doc that looks great man. I really like the blank kit combo on this one. You do such fine work and it shows through these great pens you share with us.

Top Bottom